Facebook Skip to main content

International Students

Helpful links for international students:

UW Office of International Student Services (ISS) Advising for international students on issues relating to student visas, employment in the U.S., travel, etc.
UW Foundation for International Understanding Through Student (FIUTS) Association FIUTS “connects university students with local and global communities through programs that build international awareness, cross-cultural communications, and informed leadership.”
US Immigration Student Exchange and Visitor Program (SEVP) Dept of US Immigration and Customs Enforcement website containing guidelines for SEVP
eduPass Student guide to studying in the USA
UW English Language Programs Various English Language Programs offered through the UW International Educational Outreach office.

Click on the headlines below to learn more about moving to the U.S., academics, and employment and training.

Change of Address
International students are required to notify Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) of any addresses changes within 10 days of a move. Update your local and/or permanent address on the ISS site. They will automatically notify INS of the change.

Becoming a U.S. Citizen
If you become a permanent resident of the U.S. while in the MBA Program, you are required to notify the MBA Program and the Office of International Student Services as this affects your student status.

Insurance for International Students
All regularly admitted, degree-seeking international students who are not attending the University as part of an exchange program are required to purchase the Student Health Insurance Plan or apply for a waiver. Please see the Office of International Student Services for more information and a downloadable waiver form.

Travel & Visas
If you plan to travel outside of the U.S. or Canada while at the University of Washington on a student visa, you must check with the Office of International Student Services to verify that your paperwork is in order and that you will have no difficulty re-entering the U.S.

The Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS) is an Internet-based system that allows schools and the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) to exchange data on the visa status of international students. All questions regarding visa restrictions and students status should be directed to the Office of International Student Services.

Enrollment Requirements
International students on F-1 or J-1 visas are required to be enrolled as full-time students (minimum of 10 credits a quarter) but can take a “vacation quarter” in which they remain in status but either do not enroll in classes or take fewer than 10 credits. Eligibility requires previous enrollment for three consecutive full-time quarters at the UW or in combination with a previous school. Within the structure of the MBA program, the vacation quarter is generally Summer quarter.

First Quarter Registration
Before new international MBA students can register for classes, they must check in with the Office of International Student Services.

International students can seek employment — defined as any work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, room and board, or other benefit compensation — in the U.S. under four categories:

  • On-campus
  • Practical training an opportunity to supplement academic work with employment directly related to your field of study, in one of two formats:
    • Optional Practical Training (OPT) provides F-1 students with an opportunity for hands-on work experience complementary to the academic field of study. OPT is generally done after graduation from the MBA Program.
    • Curricular Practical Training (CPT) encompasses formal training programs that are integral to the established curriculum and available to all qualifying students in your field of study (for example, internships). You can find information about CPT on the Office of International Student Services web site and also on the MBA Career Services web site.
  • Severe economic hardship
  • International organization

International students must consult with the Office of International Student Services and meet with an International Student Adviser in 459 Schmitz Hall before accepting employment.