As a world-class team of researchers and teachers, we work to advance the Foster School’s mission by placing special emphasis on leadership, strategic thinking, and entrepreneurship. We passionately incorporate these and other important content areas in our research and integrate these concepts in our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral courses.
The research we undertake and the courses we offer encompass the following key areas:
- Leadership and strategic thinking. We examine leadership in formal and informal roles at individual, group, and organizational levels. We emphasize how strategic thinking informs leadership behavior and its impact on performance outcomes.
- Strategic management. We study why some firms succeed while others fail. We examine issues faced by senior executives, including strategy formulation and implementation, competitive dynamics between rival firms, effective merger and acquisition initiatives, globalization, and the critical role of boards of directors and top management teams.
- Entrepreneurship. We focus on skills and processes related to identifying new business opportunities and capturing such opportunities, whether in nascent ventures or corporations.
- Organizational Behavior. We explore the “psychology of work,” examining how people’s attitudes and actions impact the functioning of groups and organizations.
- Ethics. We focus on generating and disseminating theories and tools for analyzing and addressing ethical problems in organizations, creating ethical organizational cultures, and conducting business in a socially responsible manner.
- Technology and Innovation. We examine individual and organization-level processes related to the creation, protection, financing, and production of innovative technologies and products.
We offer three doctoral programs: organizational behavior and leadership, strategic management, and technology entrepreneurship.
Our administrative staff play a critical role in advancing our mission. If you have any questions about our department or the courses we offer, please contact Jennifer Payne, our department Administrator, at 206-543-4340.