Office: 487 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3226
“Nothing happens unless first we dream." -Carl Sandburg”
- Professors Mitchell, Hill and Avolio recognized among the world’s most influential management scholars in the Journal of Management
- The Foster Why
- Army Research Institute awards UW Foster School of Business $700,000 to research leadership development of West Point graduates
- Modeling ethical culture: trickle-down management isn’t enough
- Dr. Bruce J. Avolio appointed as University of Washington Chair in Business Strategic Leadership
- Army Research Institute re-ups Foster School leadership development study
- Professor of Management Mark Pigott Chair in Business Strategic Leadership
- PhD University of Akron (1981)
- MA University of Akron (1978)
- BA State University of New York (1975)
- organizational behavior
- Examining how to accelerate positive forms of leadership
- At the University of Washington since 2008
- Distinguished Visiting Professor, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia (2000-2003)
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Professor of Management (2001-2008)
- Director, Gallup Leadership Institute (2003-2008)
- Director of Doctoral Program in Leadership (2003-2008)
- Clifton Chair in Leadership (2001-2008)
- Senior Research Scientist, State University of New York
- Co-Director of Global Center for Leadership Studies (2000-2001)
- Director of Global Center for Leadership Studies (1998-2000)
- Co-Director Eisenhower Leadership Development Project (1993-1996)
- Director of Doctoral Programs (1993-1994)
- Co-Director of the Kellogg Leadership Program (1990-1994)
- Director of Graduate Programs (1990-1993)
- Associate Director of the Center for Cognitive and Psycholinguistics Sciences (1988-1992)
- “Leadership Models, Methods and Applications: Progress and Remaining Blind Spots“
Journal Article: Avolio, B., Sosik, J.J., Berson, Y., Borman, W., Ilgen, D., Klimoski, R., (forthcoming). The Complete Handbook of Psychology, Vol. 12: Industrial and Organizational Psychology,
- “The Impact of Psychological Capital on Employee Performance Over Time: A Latent Growth Modeling Approach“
Journal Article: Avolio, B., Peterson, S.J., Luthans, F., Walumbwa, F., & Zhang, Z., (forthcoming). Personnel Psychology,
- “The Relationship between Authentic Leadership and Job Performance: The Mediating Role of Follower Emotions and Psychological Capital“
Journal Article: Avolio, B., Peterson, S.J., Walumbwa, F.O., & Hannah, S.T., (forthcoming). Leadership Quarterly,
- “An Integrative Process Model of Leadership: Examining Leadership Loci, Mechanisms and Event Cycles (forthcoming)“
Journal Article: Eberly, M.B., Johnson, M.D., Hernandez, M., & Avolio, B.J., (2013). American Psychologist, Vol. 68(6), pp. 427-443.
- “Embedding Ethical Leadership Within and Across Organizational Levels“
Journal Article: Avolio, B., Schaubroeck, J.M., Hannah, S.T., Kozlowski, S.W.J., Lord, R.G., Trevino, L.K., Peng, A.C., & Dimotakas, N., (2012). Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 55(5), pp. 1053-1078.
- “Leader Self and Means Efficacy: A Multi-Component Approach“
Journal Article: Avolio, B., Hannah, S.T., Chan, A., & Walumbwa, F., (2012). Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol. 118, pp. 143-161.
- “Authentic Leadership and Effects on Follower Moral Courage, Psychological Capital, and Performance“
Journal Article: Avolio, B., Hannah, S.T., & Walumbwa, F.O., (2011). Business Ethics Quarterly, Vol. 21(4), pp. 555-557.
- “Building Moral Capacity: Toward a Holistic Development Model“
Journal Article: Avolio, B., Hannah, S.T., & May, D.R., (2011). Academy of Management Review, Vol. 36, pp. 663-685.
- “Leader Character, Ethos and Virtue: Individual and Collective Considerations“
Journal Article: Avolio, B., & Hannah, S.T., (2011). The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 22, pp. 989-994.
- “Leadership and Management Research in Africa: A Synthesis and Suggestions for Future Research“
Journal Article: Avolio, B., Walumbwa, F.O., & Aryee, S., (2011). Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 84, pp. 425-439.
- “Mentoring Impact on Leader Efficacy Development: A Field Experiment“
Journal Article: Avolio, B., Lester, P.O., Hannah, S.T., Harmes, P.D., & Lester, G., (2011). Academy of Management Learning and Education Journal, Vol. 10, pp. 402-429.
- “The Loci and Mechanisms of Leadership: Exploring a More Comprehensive View of Leadership Theory“
Journal Article: Hernandez, M., Eberly, M.B., Avolio, B.J., & Johnson, M.D., (2011). Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 22(6), pp. 1165-1185.
- “The Locus of Leadership“
Journal Article: Avolio, B., & Hannah, S.T., (2011). The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 22, pp. 979-983.
- “Toward a Meta-Theory of Leadership: Conceptualizing the Loci and Mechanisms of Leadership Within a Double Interact Process Model“
Journal Article: Avolio, B., Eberly, M., Johnson, M., & Hernandez, M., (2011). The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 22, pp. 1165-1185.
- “An Investigation of the Relationships between Leader and Follower Psychological Capital, Service Climate and Job Performance“
Journal Article: Avolio, B., Walumbwa, F.O., Peterson, S.J., & Hartnell, C.A., (2010). Personnel Psychology, Vol. 63, pp. 977-1003.
- “The Genetic Basis of Entrepreneurship: Effects of Gender and Parents“
Journal Article: Avolio, B., Zhang, Z., Zyphur, M., Narayanan, J., Chaturvedi, S., Lichtenstein, P., & Larsson, G., (2009). Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol. 110, pp. 93-107.
- Focusing on strategic leadership transformation and organization change
Honors and Awards
- Named a Fellow of the American Psychological Society (2009)
- Named a Fellow of the Academy of Management (2009)
- Fellow of the American Psychological Association, Society for Industrial & Organizational Psychology, and Gerontological Society
- SUNY-Binghamton Award for Distinguished Scholarly Research (2000)
- Appointed to Chief of Defense Advisory Council, Singapore (2002)
- SUNY Chancellor's Award for Research Excellence (2001)
- Corning Innovation and Research Award (1988, 1998)
- Nominated Fellow, Five-year Kellogg Leadership Studies Project
- Past Associate Editor, Human Resource Management Journal
- Past Board Member for the Psychology and Aging Journal
- Board Member for Academy of Management Journal, Leadership Quarterly, Journal of Applied Psychology, and Journal of Organizational Behavior
- Editorial Reviewer for Experimental Aging Research, Personnel Psychology, Administrative Science Quarterly, Journal of Gerontology, Applied Psychology: An International Review, Academy of Management Review, and Journal of Applied Social Psychology
- Special Editor for International Journal of Public Administration
- Consulting Editor: Iatrogenics Handbook, R. Morgan Canadian National Institute of Sciences
- U.S. Department of Education
- Editor, The Applied Gerontologist (1985-1986)