Case-based learning offers students the chance to explore a real business issue and discuss how they would manage the situation. Traditionally, cases are reviewed with hindsight. The Foster School partners with Seattle’s thriving and innovative business community to develop forward-looking, customized cases centered on a current strategic issue. This required capstone course, Strategic Business Management (MGMT 430), taken during one quarter of senior year, positions student teams in front of executives to make formal presentations on their recommendations.
During the course of the case students will:
- Develop team and leadership skills.
- Perform diligent market research and landscape analysis.
- Practice with professional business communications.
- Hone executive-level presentation skills.
- Operate in a real-world business environment with deliverables, time constraints and strategic implications.
Past Businesses and Strategic Case Issues:
- Microsoft X-Box: The battle for the living room
- Apple: Navigating the post Steve Jobs business landscape
- Amazon: Strategic moves in the e-marketplace
- Brooks Running towards a vision: to become the most loved running shoe
- The next summit: Foster School undergrads explore business growth opportunities for REI
- Alaska Airlines: Becoming the easiest airline to fly
- Seattle City Light: Entering the solar market
- Liberty Mutual: Positioning in the Competitive Insurance market
- Starbucks: Students brew up delivery solutions
- Something Special Every Day: Foster Students Provide Solutions to zulily
- Accenture: Cloud Competitors
To get involved as a participating company:
Experiential Learning Manager