Facebook Skip to main content

Tuition and Financing

The total program fee for the 12-month MS in Entrepreneurship program is $31,642 for residents and $46,638 for non-residents. Fees are paid quarterly and due by the Tuition/Fee Assessment Deadline. Admitted students are required to pay a $1,500 non-refundable and non-transferable tuition Enrollment Confirmation Deposit. This deposit is applied to your summer quarter tuition balance. Details of how to pay fees are available on the Tuition Payment website.

Admitted international applicants are required to show proof of adequate financial support. Details about this financial ability requirement can be found on the Graduate School’s website.

Quarterly Program Fee Quarterly University Fees1 Number of Enrolled Quarters Total Program Cost
Resident: $7,910 $351 4 $31,993
Non-Resident: $11,659 $351 4 $46,989

1Fee amounts shown are based on the 2022-2023 year and are subject to change. (Office of Planning and Budgeting).

Other Estimated Expenses1 for 2023-2024 12 Month Estimate
Room and Board $22,251
Books and Supplies $825
Local Transportation $1,581
Personal Expenses $2,508
Health Insurance2 $1,965

1Average living expenses are calculated from the 2023-24 Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) Student Budgets.
2All matriculated international students in F-1 or J-1 status are required to purchase. See details on the ISHIP website.

For a complete summary of tuition charges and associated fees, visit the University’s Tuition Overview.

Establishing Residency

As a state public university, the University of Washington has different tuition rates for state residents and non-residents. State law sets the rules governing who qualifies as a resident for tuition-paying purposes. The Office of the University Registrar has more details on residency for tuition purposes.

Some non-US citizenship statuses may be eligible to establish and apply for residency for tuition purposes. More information can be found on the eligible non-citizens page.

Financing Your Degree

MS in Entrepreneurship students can finance their education through personal funds, federal and private loans, employer assistance, part-time work, and private outside scholarships. We encourage students to research available options by visiting the UW Student Financial Aid web site and also contacting them for direct help. Below is some helpful information and resources. It is never too early to start looking for funding—even if you are not yet enrolled in a graduate program.

Please note that when you are researching financial aid options, the MS in Entrepreneurship is a fee-based program. Students enrolled in this program are not eligible for the UW employee tuition exemption program, institutional tuition waivers or the Undergraduate/Graduate University Grant programs, including the Husky Promise program. For additional information, see fee-based programs and financial aid and fee-based program FAQ. Currently, no scholarships are available for the MS in Entrepreneurship program.

Federal Student Loans are issued through the Department of Education and are available to US Citizens and US Permanent Residents only. Other eligibility requirements apply. MS in Entrepreneurship students are typically eligible for two types of Federal Loans:

  • Direct Unsubsidized Loans have a maximum disbursement of $20,500 per year. Loan eligibility is not need-based.
  • Direct PLUS Loans are loans made to students to help pay for the remainder of education expenses not covered by other financial aid, as determined by FAFSA results. Loan eligibility is not need-based.

Applying for Federal Loans:
To receive federal student aid including government loans, all U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens must file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA is also used to determine eligibility for UW Family Housing and Childcare Assistance, as well as need based scholarships for second-year Foster School of Business students. International applicants without a SSN are not eligible to file the FAFSA. Visit the Federal Student Aid website for eligibility criteria.

The Federal Student Aid Estimator provides an estimate of what federal student aid you may be eligible to receive.

Complete the FAFSA with these guidelines in mind:

  • The FAFSA form is available starting October 1. Students may submit their form as soon as possible after this date. Awards are made until funds are depleted.
  • List “University of Washington-Seattle” Code 003798 in the School section.
  • Submit the FAFSA form by the priority deadline: January 15 at 10:00 pm. Students who file after the priority deadline may work with the UW Office of Student Financial Aid to receive loans and other aid.
  • Since the MS in Entrepreneurship program starts summer quarter, after submitting a FAFSA students need to also submit a special Summer Aid Application available starting April 1 and due by May 15 for priority processing.

If your FAFSA is approved, the University of Washington will provide you with a financial aid eligibility letter and a promissory note asking how much of the $20,500 annual maximum you wish to borrow. Students who do not qualify for need-based assistance may qualify for the Unsubsidized Stafford/Ford Loans and Federal Direct Graduate PLUS (GPLUS) Loans.

For complete graduate loan information, visit the UW Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) website. You may also contact the UW Office of Student Financial Aid at (206) 543-6101 or [email protected].

Private loans are yet another resource available to cover your educational expenses. We strongly encourage qualified students to exhaust all federal loan options before applying for private loans. Unlike private loans, federal loans are required by law to provide flexible payment options, income based repayment and loan forgiveness benefits. Private loan terms vary widely between lenders and loan programs, and students must apply directly with the lending institution. There are resources available from the OFSA website to make an informed decision about alternative loan options.

We recognize that not all students qualify for federal loans. International students can qualify for private loans with a creditworthy U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident co-signer. International students may also want to investigate private educational loans available from their home countries. Consult your local EducationUSA Advising Center for funding ideas.

You are encouraged to do independent research and can borrow from any lender you prefer.

Non-U.S. Citizens/Permanent Residents are not eligible to apply for U.S. federal financial aid. International students are encouraged to pursue private educational loans available from their home country.  In some cases, international students may also be eligible for private U.S. loans with a U.S. citizen co-signer. UW’s International Student Services office provides information on Financial Assistance for International Students. Additional resources are available at eduPASS and IEFA.

Students are encouraged to research external (private) scholarship opportunities.

Additionally, FastWeb, Scholarships.com and other scholarship search engine sites are a good place to begin researching scholarship opportunities.

International students may want to consider programs such as FulbrightMuskie FellowshipsAmerican Association of University Women’s International FellowshipsEducationUSA and EduPASS for scholarship, general financial aid information,  and tips for studying in the US.

Attending graduate school is a significant investment of time and money. While incoming students are strongly encouraged not to work during the MS in Entrepreneurship program, we do understand some students may seek part-time work and assistantships.

Please note: MS in Entrepreneurship classes will mostly take place during the mornings or afternoons each quarter. Occasionally there will be an evening event and there is an evening class during winter quarter one night a week. If pursuing part-time work, students need to find a job with flexibility in scheduling. The most likely time students would be available to work would be evenings, some Fridays, and weekends.

On-campus Jobs

International Students: Please review the Working as a Student on the International Applicants page.

Work Study

The Federal Work Study and state sponsored Washington State Work Study Programs give students the opportunity to work part-time while going to school. Learn more about work study details on eligibility, finding a job, getting paid, and work schedules. Financial need is determined by first submitting the FAFSA. International students are not eligible for work study.

Graduate Student Assistantships

At the University of Washington, there are three types of graduate student assistantships: Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant, and Staff Assistant. Visit the link to learn more about the program, how to find a position, and international student eligibility.

Please note: Teaching Assistantships at Foster are offered by departments. TAs are difficult to find and are usually filled by MBAs. TAs across the UW campus are approximately 16 hours per week, usually earning a monthly stipend around $3,000.

As a veteran, current active duty member, or a dependent of military personnel, you may be entitled to VA benefits to fund your education. These benefits may include funding for tuition and fees, housing, books, and meals. For more information on financing your degree through VA funding, please visit the UW Veterans Center website. Please note: The MS in Entrepreneurship is a fee-based program. Tuition waivers will not be awarded to students participating in fee-based programs.

Military Benefit Resource Links

The IRS provides both tax credits and deductions that may be taken to reduce the federal income tax burden for eligible students. Tax savings are dependent on your personal situation, and students should check with their personal accountant to determine whether their tuition payments qualify as a tax deduction. For detailed information on the education tax credits and eligibility, visit the UW Student Fiscal Services website.