Office: 518 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3226
“People are the most important resources in organizations. Happy employees are more efficient, more productive and more optimistic about work and life.”
- Deciphering our decisions to voice ideas and opinions in a group
- Chen named fellow of Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Chen named editor of leading organizational behavior journal
- The Year in Research: 2013-14
- The Foster Why
- Mental fatigue doesn’t always make us more likely to act unethically
- Entrepreneurial investors reward preparation over passion
- Workplace autonomy fosters passion, passion fosters creativity
- Motivational cultural intelligence can enhance the bottom line
- Professor of Management Philip M. Condit Endowed Chair in Business Administration
- Associate Dean for Faculty and Academic Affairs
- PhD University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1995)
- MA University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1992)
- MeD Zhejiang University (1988)
- BS Zhejiang University (1985)
- decision making
- global business
- organizational behavior
- Inter-cultural edge research (ICE), leadership and creativity, entrepreneur passion, Chinese guanxi
- At the University of Washington since 1999
- Assistant professor, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, 1998-1999
- Assistant professor, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 1995-1998
- “Help yourself by helping others: The Joint Impact of Individual Organizational Citizenship Behavior and Team Cohesiveness on Individual Objective Task Performance Change“
Journal Article: Liu, D., Chen, X. P., & Holley, E., (in press). Personnel Psychology,
- “A model of communication context and measure of context dependence“
Journal Article: Adair, W., Buchan, N., Chen, X. P., & Liu, D (equal authorship), (in press). Academy of Management Discovery,
- “I will speak up if my voice is socially desirable: A moderated mediating process of promotive versus prohibitive voice“
Journal Article: Wei, X., Zhang, Z. X., & Chen, X. P., (2015). Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 100(5), pp. 1641-1652.
- “West Meets East: New Theories and Concepts“
Journal Article: Barkema, H., Chen, X. P., George, G., Luo, Y. D., Tsui, A. S., (2015). Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 58(2), pp. 460-479.
- “A multilevel investigation of motivational cultural intelligence, organizational diversity climate, and cultural sales: Evidence from the U.S. real estate firms“
Journal Article: Bradford, W., Chen, X., Liu, D., & Portnoy, R., (2012). Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 97(1), pp. 93-106.
- “Cross-national differences in cooperative decision making in mixed-motive business contexts: The mediating and moderating effects of vertical and horizontal individualism“
Journal Article: Chen, X. P., & Li, S., (2005). Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 36, pp. 622-636.
- “On the intricacies of Chinese guanxi: A process model of guanxi development“
Journal Article: Chen, X. P., & Chen, C. C., (2004). Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Vol. 21(3), pp. 305-324.
- “Achieving cooperation in multi-partner strategic alliances: A social dilemma approach to partnership management“
Journal Article: Zeng, M. & Chen, X.P., (2003). Vol. 28(4), pp. 587-605.
- “Tolerance of free riding: The effects of defection size, defection pattern and social orientation“
Journal Article: Chen, X. P., & Bachrach, D. G., (2003). Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol. 90, pp. 139-147.
- “Affective trust in Chinese leaders: Linking paternalistic leadership to employee performance“
Journal Article: Chen, X. P., Eberly, M., Chiang, T-J., Farh, J. L., & Cheng, (2014). Journal of Management, Vol. 40(3), pp. 796-819.
- “Ego depletion and its paradoxical effects on ethical decision making“
Journal Article: Yam, K.C., Chen, X.P., & Reynolds, S.J., (2014). Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol. 124, pp. 204-214.
- “Guanxi and Social Network Research: Review and Future Directions“
Journal Article: Chen, C. C., Chen, X. P., & Huang, S. S., (2013). Management and Organization Review, Vol. 9(1), pp. 167-207.
- “From Autonomy to Creativity: A Multilevel Investigation of the Mediating Role of Harmonious Passion“
Journal Article: Liu, D., Chen, X.P., Yao, X., (2011). Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 96(2), pp. 294-309.
- “Passion and Preparedness in Entrepreneurs’ Business Plan Presentations: A Persuasion Analysis of Venture Capitalists’ Funding Decisions“
Journal Article: Chen, X.P., Yao, X., & Kotha, S., (2009). Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 52(1), pp. 199-214.
- “To Whom do Positive Norm and Negative Norm of Reciprocity Apply?“
Journal Article: Chen, Y.R., Chen, X.P., & Portnoy, R., (2009). Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol. 45(1), pp. 24–34.
- Philips, Microsoft, Washington Realtors, Motorola (Asia), Ericsson, BP-Amoco
Honors and Awards
- Chinese Guanxi: An integrative review and new directions for future research published in Management and Organization Review 2013, is selected as a winning paper in the prestigious Emerald Citations of Excellence for 2016
- Distinguished Scholarly Achievement Award by International Association for Chinese Management Research (2016)
- Fellow, Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology (2015- )
- Philip M. Condit Endowed Chair in Business Administration (2013-present)
- Andrew Smith Faculty Development Award (2010)
- Outstanding University of Washington Woman Award (2010)
- Outstanding Ph.D. Mentor Award (2004, 2009)
- Dean's International Research Award (2001, 2008)
- Charles E. Summer Outstanding Teaching Award (2004)
- Evert McCabe Fellowship (2004)
- Kirby Cramer Scholar in Business Ethics (2003)
- Neal and Jan Dempsey Fellowship (2002)
- Ten Best Lecturers Award from Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (1996, 1998)
- Special Achievement in Research Award from HKUST (1998)
- Special Achievement in Teaching Award from HKUST (1997, 1998)
- Editor-in-Chief, Management Insights
- Editor-in-Chief, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes (OBHDP)
- Consulting Editor, Management and Organizational Review (MOR)
- Member, Editorial Board of Journal of International Business Studies (JIBS)
- Past-President, International Association for Chinese Management Research (IACMR), 2008-2010
- President, International Association for Chinese Management Research (IACMR), 2006-2008
- Representative-at-Large, Organizational Behavior Division, Academy of Management, 2001-2004