Office: 577 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3226
“Theoretical financial models are important, but they do not exist in a vacuum. We need to understand the link between these models and the business world, both for our own academic research and for the classroom.”
- Associate Professor of Finance John B. and Delores L. Fery Faculty Fellow
- PhD Stanford University (1991)
- MBA Harvard University (1987)
- BS Brown University (1983)
- business valuation
- corporate finance
- dividend and payout policy; stock splits
- entrepreneurial finance
- Equity offerings, Short selling, Credit ratings, Convertible bonds, Stock splits, Dividend policy, Information processing in securities markets
- At the University of Washington since 1991
- Financial analyst at Goldman Sachs & Company, 1983-1985
Honors and Awards
- PACCAR Award for Teaching Excellence, 2001, 2008, 2015
- Charles E. Summer Outstanding Teaching Award, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2015.
- Daniel R. Siegel Service Award, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2013, 2015.
- Ron Crockett Award for Excellence in Graduate Teaching, 2014.
- Ron Crockett Award for Innovation in Education, 2014.
- Lex N. Gamble Family Award for Excellence in Case Development and Curriculum Innovation, 2012.
- Dean’s Citizenship Award, 2004.
- Andrew V. Smith Faculty Development Award, 2003.
- PhD Mentor of the Year Award, 2001.
- Burlington Northern Foundation Faculty Achievement Award, 1993.
- MBA Core Professor of the Year: 1994, 1996, 2001-2008.
- MBA Elective Professor of the Year: 2012, 2013, 2015
- Evening MBA Professor of the Year: Class of 2013
- Undergraduate Finance Instructor of the Quarter: Autumn 2009.