Office: 583 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3226
David G. Sirmon
- Associate Professor of Management Robert Herbold Professor in Entrepreneurship
- PhD Arizona State University (2004)
- MBA University of Montana (1997)
- BS University of Montana (1996)
- competitive strategy
- mergers and acquisitions
- strategic alliances
- At the University of Washington since 2012
- Associate Professor at Texas A&M University, 2011-2012
- Assistant Professor at Texas A&M University, 2006-2011
- Assistant Professor at Clemson University, 2004-2006
- Commercial Lending, 1997-2000
- “Shareholder Influence over Director Nomination via Proxy Access: Implications for Agency Conflict and Stakeholder Value (forthcoming)“
Journal Article: Campbell, J.T., Campbell, T.C., Sirmon, D.G., Bierman, L., & Tuggle, C.S., (2012). Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 33(12), pp. 1431–1451.
- “Firm Resources, Competitive Actions and Performance: Investigating a Mediated Model with Evidence from the In-Vitro Diagnostics Industry“
Journal Article: Ndofor, H.A., Sirmon, D.G., & He, X., (2011). Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 32(6), pp. 640–657.
- “Franchising and the Family Firm: Creating Unique Sources of Advantage“
Journal Article: Chirico, F., Ireland, R.D., & Sirmon, D.G., (2011). Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, Vol. 35(3), pp. 483-501.
- “Resource Orchestration to Create Competitive Advantage: Breadth, Depth and Life Cycle Effects“
Journal Article: Sirmon, D.G., Hitt, M.A., Ireland, R.D., & Gilbert, B.A., (2011). Journal of Management, Vol. 37(5), pp. 1390-1412.
- “The Current State of Strategic Entrepreneurship and Future Opportunities“
Journal Article: Hitt, M.A., Sirmon, D.G., Ireland, R.D., & Trahms, C., (2011). Academy of Management Perspectives, Vol. 25(2), pp. 57-75.
- “Commanding Board of Director Attention: Investigating How Organizational Performance and CEO Duality Affect Board Members Attention to Monitoring“
Journal Article: Tuggle, C.S., Sirmon, D.G., Reutzel, C., & Bierman, L., (2010). Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 31(9), pp. 946-968.
- “Competition and Knowledge Creation in Management: Investigating Changes in Scholarship from 1988 to 2007“
Journal Article: Certo, S.T., Sirmon, D.G., & Brymer, R., (2010). Academy of Management Learning and Education, Vol. 9(4), pp. 591-606.
- “The Case for Random Coefficients Modeling in Entrepreneurship Research: An Illustration of Growth Strategies and Post-IPO Performance“
Journal Article: Holcomd, T.R, Combs, J.G., Sirmon, D.G., & Sexton, J., (2010). Organizational Research Methods, Vol. 13(2), pp. 348-389.
- “The Dynamic Interplay of Capability Strengths and Weaknesses: Investigating the Bases of Temporary Competitive Advantage“
Journal Article: Sirmon, D.G., Hitt, M.A., Arregle, J.L., & Campbell, J.T., (2010). Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 31(13), pp. 1386-1409.
- “Entrepreneurial Orientation, Generational Involvement and Participative Strategy: A Configurational Approach to Entrepreneurship in Family Firms (forthcoming)“
Journal Article: Chirico, F., Sirmon, D., Sciascia, S., & Mazzola, P., Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal,
Honors and Awards
- Professor of the Year – Core Evening MBA, UW, 2013
- Professor of the Quarter (Winter) – Core Day MBA, UW, 2013
- Excellence Awards
- Highly Cited Researcher, 2014
- Robert Herbold Professorship in Entrepreneurship, UW, 2012
- Ricky W. Griffin Research Excellence Award, TAMU, 2012
- Emerging Scholar Award, SMS (distinguished early career award), 2011
- Mays Research Performance Award, TAMU, 2011
- Summer Research Performance Grant, TAMU, 2010
- Pamela M. and Barent W. Cater ’77 Faculty Research Fellowship, TAMU, 2009
- Dean’s Performance Recognition Grant, TAMU, 2009
- Center for Human Resource Management Research Grant, TAMU, 2008
- Outstanding Reviewer, BPS Division, AoM, 2008
- Dean’s Performance Recognition Grant, TAMU, 2008
- Mays Research Mini-Grant, TAMU, 2008
- Center for Human Resource Management Research Grant, TAMU, 2007
- Emerging Scholar Research Excellence Award, Clemson University, 2005
- Outstanding Reviewer, Entrepreneurship Division, AoM, 2005
- Best Paper Proceedings, AoM, 2013
- Best Paper Finalist, Academy of Management Learning & Education, 2011
- Best Conference Paper Award Nominee, SMS, 2011
- Best Paper Proceedings, AoM, 2011
- Best Paper Finalist, Academy of Management Review, 2010
- Showcase Symposium Award, AoM, 2010
- Best Symposium Award, AoM, 2010
- Best Conference Paper Award Nominee, SMS, 2009
- Best Paper Proceedings, AoM, 2009
- Best Paper Nominee, Journal of Management Studies, 2008
- Best Paper Proceedings, AoM, 2008
- Best Conference Paper - Honorable Mention, SMS, 2005
- Best Paper Proceedings, AoM, 2003
- Editorial Review Board, Academy of Management Journal
- Editorial Review Board, Strategic Management Journal
- Editorial Review Board, Journal of Business Venturing
- Editorial Review Board, Family Business Review