Office: 589 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195
- Professor of Accounting Kermit O. Hanson Professor in Business Administration
- PhD University of Washington (1982)
- MBA University of Washington (1978)
- BS Oregon State University (1968)
- financial accounting
- Public policy issues related to the quality of financial reporting and auditing, including restatements, materiality, audit litigation, the pricing of audit services, and non-audit services.
- At the University of Washington since 2011
- Accounting Circle Professor Emerita of Accounting, University of Southern California, 2011-Present
- Deputy Chief Accountant for Professional Practice in the Office of the Chief Accountant, Securities and Exchange Commission, 2006-2008
- Professor (and Associate Professor), University of Southern California, 1989-2011
- Assistant Professor, University of California at Berkeley, 1982-1989
- “PCAOB Audit Regulations A Decade After Sox: Where It Stands and What the Future Holds“
Journal Article: Pamrose, Z.V., (2013). Accounting Horizons, Vol. 27(4), pp. 775-798.
- “CEO Involvement in Selecting Board Members, Audit Committee Effectiveness, and Restatements“
Journal Article: Carcello, J., Neal, T., Palmrose, Z.V., & Scholz. S., (2011). Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 28(2), pp. 396-430.
- “Balancing the Costs and Benefits of Auditing and Financial Reporting Regulation Post-SOX, Perspectives from the Nexus at the SEC Part I“
Journal Article: Palmrose, Z.V., (2010). Accounting Horizons, Vol. 24(2), pp. 313-326.
- “Balancing the Costs and Benefits of Auditing and Financial Reporting Regulation Post-SOX, Perspectives from the Nexus at the SEC Part II“
Journal Article: Palmrose, Z.V., (2010). Accounting Horizons, Vol. 24(3), pp. 487-507.
- “Commentary: “Can Science Help Solve the Economic Crisis?”“
Journal Article: Brown, M., Kauffman, S., Palmrose, Z.V., and Smolin, L, (2008). Edge,
- “Maintaining the Value and Viability of Auditors as Gatekeepers Under SOX: An Auditing Master Proposal“
Book: Yasuyuki Fuchita and Robert E. Litan, eds, (2006). Maintaining the Value and Viability of Auditors as Gatekeepers Under SOX: An Auditing Master Proposal. Financial Gatekeepers: Can They Protect Investors?, Brookings Institution Press and the Nomura Institute of Capital Markets Research pp. 103-135.
- “The Effect of Quantitative Materiality Approach on Auditors’ Adjustment Decisions“
Journal Article: Nelson, P., Palmrose, Z.V., and Smith, S., (2005). The Accounting Review, Vol. 80(3), pp. 897-920.
- “Thog’s Guide to Quantum Economics: 50,000 Years of Accounting Basics for the Future“
Book: Brown, M., and S., Palmrose, Z.V., (2005). MAC Productions
- “Auditor Independence, Non-Audit Services, and Restatements: Was the Government Right?“
Journal Article: Kinney, W.R., Palmrose, Z.V., and Scholz, S., (2004). Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 42(3), pp. 561-588.
- “The Accounting Causes and Legal Consequences of Non-GAAP Reporting: Evidence from Restatements“
Journal Article: Palmrose, Z.V., and Scholz, S., (2004). Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 21(1), pp. 139-180.
Honors and Awards
- USC Accounting Circle Professor of Accounting (2010-2011)
- National PricewaterhouseCoopers Fellow (2010-2011)
- Distinguished Visiting Faculty at American Accounting Association Doctoral Consortium
- (1993, 1995, 2003, 2010)
- USC Parents Association Teaching and Mentoring Nominee (2009)
- American Accounting Association Presidential Scholar (2008)
- Named one of Treasury and Risk Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in Finance
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Law and Policy Award, Presented to the
- Sarbanes-Oxley 404 Team (2007)
- Dean’s Award for Research Excellence, USC Marshall School of Business (2006)
- Named one of Business Finance Magazine’s Influencers in 2004, 2005, and 2007
- American Accounting Association/Deloitte Wildman Medal (2003 and 2006)
- American Accounting Association Auditing Section Distinguished Service Award (2003)
- PricewaterhouseCoopers Auditing Professor (1998-2006, 2008-2010)
- Price Waterhouse Auditing Professor (1996-1998)
- Price Waterhouse Faculty Fellow (1990-1996)
- California Society of CPAs Accounting Faculty Fellow Award (1988)
- American Accounting Association Competitive Manuscript Award (1987)
- Director UW Masters in Professional Accounting, Audit and Assurance Program (since 2012)
- Deloitte Audit Quality Advisory Council (since 2013)
- Center for Audit Quality Research Advisory Board (since 2008)
- SEC Historical Society Museum Committee (2008-2011)
- U.S. Department of the Treasury Advisory Committee on the Auditing Profession,
- SEC Observer (2007-2008)
- Public Company Accounting Oversight Board Standing Advisory Group,
- SEC Observer (2006-2008)
- American Accounting Association Executive Committee (2002-2004)
- American Accounting Association Vice President—Research (2002-2004)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Auditing Standards Board Fraud Task
- Force that developed and drafted SAS No. 99, Consideration of Fraud in a Financial Statement Audit (2000-2002)
- Public Oversight Board Panel on Audit Effectiveness (1998-2000)
- American Accounting Association Auditing Section, Secretary-Treasurer (1989-1991)
- American Accounting Association Auditing Section, Research Director and Chair of the
- Research Committee (1989-1991)
- Research Consultant to the National Commission on Fraudulent Financial Reporting
- (Treadway Commission) (1986)
- Editoral Board Member of The Accounting Review, Journal of Accounting and Public
- Policy, Accounting Horizons, Auditing: "A Journal of Practice & Theory," and Issues in Accounting Education (for various terms during 1983-2014)