Office: 461 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3226
- Professor of Information Systems Neal and Jan Dempsey Professor of Information Systems
- PhD University of Washington (2000)
- PhD University of Washington (1993)
- MS University of Washington (1988)
- BS University of Science and Technology of China (1987)
- data analytics
- economics of information systems
- social network analytics
- Online social networks, Mobile commerce, Digital content distribution channels, Information security
- At the University of Washington since 2000
- Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Strathclyde, United Kingdom, 1994-1995
- Visiting Scientist at the Laboratoire de Physique Quantique, The Universite Paul Sabatier, France, 1993-1994
- “An empirical investigation on organizational innovation and individual creativity“
Journal Article: Fu, Z., Peng, J., Tan, Y., & Zhang, G., (2014). Information Systems and e-Business Management, Vol. 12(3), pp. 465-489.
- “Effects of Different Types of Free Trials and Ratings in Sampling of Consumer Software: An Empirical Study“
Journal Article: Lee, Y., & Tan, Y., (2014). Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 30(3), pp. 213-246.
- “Feeling Blue? Go Online: An Empirical Study of Online Supports among Patients“
Journal Article: Tan, Y., & Yan, L., (2014). Information Systems Research, Vol. 25(4), pp. 690-709.
- “Leveraging Philanthropic Behavior for Customer Support: The Case of User Support Forums“
Journal Article: Jabr, W., Mookerjee, R., Mookerjee, V., & Tan, Y., (2014). Management Information Systems Quarterly, Vol. 38(1), pp. 187-208.
- “Modeling MGC Strategies under Extreme Negative UGC“
Journal Article: Mu, J., Qi, J., Qu, Q., & Tan, Y., (2014). Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, Vol. 15(3), pp. 150-161.
- “The synchronization club: classification of global economic groups by inequality“
Journal Article: Cao, H., Li, Y., & Tan, Y., (2014). Applied Economics, Vol. 46(21), pp. 2502-2510.
- “Self-Organized Formation and Evolution of Peer-to-Peer Networks“
Journal Article: Li, Y., De, P., & Tan, Y., (2013). INFORMS Journal on Computing, Vol. 25(3), pp. 502-516.
- “Social media research: A review“
Journal Article: Sun, H., Tan, Y., & Wu, J., (2013). Journal of Systems Science and Systems Engineering, Vol. 22(3), pp. 257-282.
Honors and Awards
- Neal and Jan Dempsey Professorship, 2011
- Ph.D. Outstanding Mentor Award, 2010-2011
- Ph.D. Outstanding Mentor Award, 2007
- Dean's Faculty Research Award, 2006
- Dean's Junior Faculty Research Award, 2005
- Undergraduate Professor of the Year in Information Systems, 2005
- Lex N. Gamble Family Award for Excellence in the Field of E-Commerce, 2003
- Tyler Scholarship at the University of Washington, 1999-2000
- Edna Benson Fellowship at the University of Washington, 1999
- Dean’s Achievement Award at the University of Washington, 1998
- Associate Editor, Management Science
- Associate Editor, Information Systems Research, 2008-2010
- IS 579 - Web 2.0 and the New Economy MBA elective on Web 2.0 based business models;
- IS 580 – Information Systems Research Topics Doctoral Seminar focused on current research topics in information systems;
- IS 461 – Systems Implementation Undergraduate course on building interactive Facebook applications;
- IS 460 – Systems Analysis and Design Undergraduate course on systems development;
- IS 423 – E-Commerce Systems Development Undergraduate course on developing E-Commerce Systems using C# and Java;
- IS 320 – Fundamentals of Application Programming Undergraduate course on programming using Visual Basic;
- MSIS 503 – Programming Business Logic Graduate course (for MS in Information Systems Program) on programming;
- MSIS 521 – Information Technologies and Marketing (for MS in Information Systems Program);
- MSIS 522 – Analysis, Modeling and Design Graduate course (for MS in Information Systems Program) on management of information systems development;
- MSIS 524 – Managing Information Technology Projects (for MS in Information Systems Program)