Office: 412 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195
- Professor of Marketing J. Gary Shansby Endowed Chair in Marketing Strategy
- PhD University of Washington (2002)
- MS MGIMO University (1995)
- marketing strategy
- myopic management
- Branding, myopic management, earnings management, executive compensation, NLP
- Associate Professor of Marketing and Sarah Graham Kenan Scholar 2012, Kenan-Flagler Business School, UNC 2011-2012
- Visiting Associate Professor of Marketing, MIT Sloan School of Management, 2010-2011
- Gantcher Associate Professor of Business, Columbia Graduate School of Business, 2007-2011
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, Columbia Graduate School of Business, 2002-2007
- “Managing for the Moment: Role of Real Activity Manipulation versus Accruals in SEO Over-Valuation“
Journal Article: Kothari, S.P., Mizik, N., Roychowdhury, S., (2016). The Accounting Review,
- “Assessing the Total Financial Performance Impact of Brand Equity with Limited Time-Series Data“
Journal Article: Mizik, Natalie, (2014). Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 51(6), pp. 691-706.
- “Firm Innovation and the Ratchet Effect among Consumer Packaged Goods Firms“
Journal Article: Moorman, C., Wies, S., Mizik, N., & Spencer, F., (2012). Marketing Science, Vol. 31(6), pp. 934–951.
- “Modeling coexisting business scenarios with time-series panel data: A dynamics-based segmentation approach“
Journal Article: Bucklin, R., Mizik, N., & Sismeiro, C., (2012). International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol. 29(2), pp. 134-147.
- “Merging Company Identities May Add Value“
Journal Article: Dinner, I., Knowles, J., & Mizik, N., (2011). Harvard Business Review, Vol. 89(September), pp. 26.
- “The Financial Markets and Customer Satisfaction: Re-examining Possible Financial Market Mis-Pricing of Customer Satisfaction“
Journal Article: Jacobson, R. & Mizik, N., (2009). Marketing Science, Vol. 28(5), pp. 810-819.
- “The Financial Value Impact of Perceptual Brand Attributes“
Journal Article: Mizik, Natalie, Jacobson, Robert L., (2008). Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 45(1), pp. 15-32.
- “Myopic Marketing Management: Evidence of the Phenomenon and Its Long-Term Performance Consequences in the SEO Context“
Journal Article: Mizik, N., Jacobson, R., (2007). Marketing Science, Vol. 26(3), pp. 361-379.
- “Are Physicians ‘Easy Marks’? Quantifying the Effects of Detailing and Sampling on New Prescriptions“
Journal Article: Mizik, N., Jacobson, R., (2004). Management Science, Vol. 51(12), pp. 1704-1715.
- “Trading Off between Value Creation and Value Appropriation: The Financial Implications of Shifts in Strategic Emphasis“
Journal Article: Mizik, Natalie, Jacobson, Robert L., (2003). Journal of Marketing, Vol. 67, pp. 63-76.
- “The Theory and Practice of Myopic Management“
Journal Article: Mizik, N., (2010). Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 47(4), pp. 594-611.
- “Valuing Branded Businesses“
Journal Article: Mizik, N., & Jacobson, R., (2009). Journal of Marketing, Vol. 73(6), pp. 137-153.
Honors and Awards
- AMA Consortium Faculty – AMA Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium (2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2014, 2015)
- Teaching Excellence Award, UW TMMBA (2013, 2014)
- Erin Anderson Award for an Emerging Female Marketing Scholar and Mentor, American Marketing Association (2012)
- Varadarajan Award for Early Career Contributions to Marketing Strategy Research, American Marketing Association, Strategy SIG (2011)
- MSI, Robert D. Buzzell Best Paper Award, Finalist (2009), Winner (2011)
- Journal of Marketing Research, JMR, Paul E. Green best paper Award, Finalist (2009, 2011)
- John D.C. Little Best Paper Award, Finalist (2009)
- Marketing Association of Columbia Teaching Award “Best Marketing Class Taken at CBS” (2009)
- MSI third biennial Young Scholars Program (2005)
- ISBM Award Winner (2001), Honorable Mention (2001)
- AMA Academic Council, Member (2012-2015)
- INFORMS Subdivision Council, ISMS Liaison Officer (2013-2014)
- Marketing Accountability Standards Board (MASB)
- --Charter Director and Project Co-Lead (2009-2011)
- --Advisory Council (2011-2012)
- Editorial Review Board Membership:
- Marketing Science (2011-present)
- Journal of Marketing (2010-present)
- Marketing Letters (2008-present)
- Journal of Marketing Research (2007-present)
- International Journal of Research in Marketing (2008-2015)
- Conference Organizing:
- Brands and Branding in Law, Accounting, and Marketing Conference, April 2012, UNC, Chapel Hill, Co-Chair
- Marketing Dynamics Conferences 2005-2011, Member of the Organizing and/or Program Committees
- Marketing Strategy Meets Wall Street II: Emerging Perspectives from Academics and Practitioners Conference, Boston, MA, May 12 - 14, 2011, Member of the Advisory Committee
- Women in Marketing Academia (AMA 2010, 2012) and Women in Marketing Science (MktgSci 2011, 2012) meetings, Co-organizer
- MBA - Core Marketing Strategy, Strategic Marketing Planning, Advanced Marketing Strategy
- EMBA - Marketing Management, Strategic Marketing Planning, Advanced Marketing Strategy
- TMMBA - Strategic Marketing Management
- PhD - Special topics: Measuring Marketing Strategy Performance
- Entrepreneurship Development Program
- Global Leadership Strategy Program