Office: 544 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3226
- Associate Professor of Management The Boeing Company Endowed Professor in Business Management
- PhD Michigan State University (2006)
- BA Hope College (1985)
- Groups and Teams, Emotions and Stress, Social identities
- “An Integrative Process Model of Leadership: Examining Leadership Loci, Mechanisms and Event Cycles“
Journal Article: Eberly, M.B., Johnson, M.D., Hernandez, M., & Avolio, B.J., (2013). American Psychologist, Vol. 68(6), pp. 427-443.
- “Expressed Humility in Organizations: Implications for Performance, Teams, and Leadership“
Journal Article: Owens, B.P., Johnson, M.D., & Mitchell, T.R., (2013). Organization Science, Vol. 24(5), pp. 1517-1538.
- “Alternative Reference Points and Outcome Evaluation: The Influence of Affect“
Journal Article: Johnson, M.D., Ilies, R., & Boles, T.L., (2012). Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 97(1), pp. 33-45.
- “Cognitive and Affective Identification: Exploring the Links Between Different Forms of Social Identification and Personality with Work Attitudes and Behavior“
Journal Article: Johnson, M.D., Morgeson, F.P., & Hekman, D.R., (2012). Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol. 33(8), pp. 1142–1167.
- “Beyond Internal and External: A Dyadic Theory of Relational Attributions“
Journal Article: Eberly, M.B., Holley, E.C., Johnson, M.D., & Mitchell, T.R., (2011). Academy of Management Review, Vol. 36(4), pp. 731–753.
- “The Loci and Mechanisms of Leadership: Exploring a More Comprehensive View of Leadership Theory“
Journal Article: Hernandez, M., Eberly, M.B., Avolio, B.J., & Johnson, M.D., (2011). Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 22(6), pp. 1165-1185.
- “Personality and Citizenship Behavior: The Mediating Role of Job Satisfaction“
Journal Article: Ilies, R., Fulmer, I.S., Spitzmuller, M., & Johnson, M.D., (2009). Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 94(4), pp. 945–959.
- “How Different Team Downsizing Approaches Influence Team-Level Adaptation and Performance“
Journal Article: DeRue, D.S., Hollenbeck, J.R., Johnson, M.D., Ilgen, D.R., & Jundt, D.K., (2008). Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 51(1), pp. 82–196.
- “Cutthroat Cooperation: Asymmetrical Adaptation to Changes in Team Reward Structures“
Journal Article: Johnson, M.D., Hollenbeck, J.R., Humphrey, S.E., Ilgen, D.R., Jundt, D., & Meyer, C.J., (2006). Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 49(1), pp. 103–119.
- “Multiple Professional Identities: Examining Differences in Identification Across Work-Related Targets“
Journal Article: Johnson, M.D., Morgeson, F.P., Ilgen, D.R., Meyer, C.J., & Lloyd, J.W., (2006). Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 91(2), pp. 498–506.
- “Teams in Organizations: From Input-Process-Output Models to IMOI Models“
Journal Article: DeRue, D.S., Hollenbeck, J.R., Johnson, M.D., Ilgen, D.R., & Jundt, D.K., (2005). Annual Review of Psychology, Vol. 56, pp. 517-543.
- Michigan Public Health Institute, Kellogg Youth Initiative Partnerships, International Steward
Honors and Awards
- Ascendant Scholar, Western Academy of Management (2012)
- Core Professor of the Year, Evening MBA Class of 2012, Foster School of Business (2011)
- Professor of the Quarter, MBA Class of 2012, Foster School of Business (2011)
- Professor of the Quarter, MBA Class of 2011, Foster School of Business (2010)
- Emerald Management Reviews Citation of Excellence (one of the top 50 management articles published in 2009, out of 15,000 considered)
- Wells Fargo Faculty Award for Undergraduate Teaching (2009)
- Editorial boards of the Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Applied Psychology, and Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes