Office: 303 Dempsey Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3200
- Professor of Accounting Orin & Janet Smith Dean
- PhD Ohio State University (1977)
- MAS University of Illinois (1973)
- BS University of Illinois (1970)
- managerial accounting
- The relation between dispersion in analysts' forecasts and stock returns.
- At the University of Washington since 1977
- Auditor for Haskins & Sells, 1970-1972
- “Do Stock Prices Fully Reflect the Implications of Special Items for Future Earnings?“
Journal Article: Burgstahler, D., Jiambalvo, J., & Shevlin, T., (2002). Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 40(3), pp. 585-612.
- “Institutional Ownership and the Extent to Which Stock Prices Reflect Future Earnings“
Journal Article: Jiambalvo, J., Rajgopal, S. and Venkatachalam, M., (2002). Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 19(1), pp. 117-145.
- “Audit Planning and Analytical Procedures: The Role of Corroboration and Incentives to Manage Earnings“
Journal Article: Glover, S., Jiambalvo, J., and Kennedy, J., (2000). Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, Vol. 19(2), pp. 21-45.
- “Error Projection and Uncertainty in the Evaluation of Aggregate Error“
Journal Article: Burgstahler, D., Glover, S., & Jiambalvo, J., (2000). Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, Vol. 19(1), pp. 79-99.
- “The Effect of Audit Quality on Earnings Management“
Journal Article: Becker, C., Defond, M., Jiambalvo, J., and Subramanyam, K., (1998). Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 15(1), pp. 1-24.
- “Incremental Information Content of the Change in the Percent of Production Added to Inventory“
Journal Article: Jiambalvo, J., Noreen, E., and Shevlin, T., (1997). Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 14(1), pp. 69-97.
- “Debt Covenant Violation and Manipulation of Accruals“
Journal Article: Defond, M., and Jiambalvo, J., (1994). Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 17(1-2), pp. 145-176.
Honors and Awards
- Notable Contribution to Auditing Literature Award (2006) from the Auditing Section of the American Accounting Association. See the full citation above under Selected Publications.
- E-Business Core Professor of the Quarter for Spring, 2004
- Dean’s Citizenship Award, 2003
- MBA Core Professor of the Quarter for Spring, 2002-2004
- Lex N. Gamble Award for Excellence in E-Commerce, 2002
- Andrew V. Smith Award for Service to the School of Business, 2000
- MBA Core Professor of the Year, 1997
- Burlington Northern Faculty Achievement Award, 1990
- Appointed to the Price Waterhouse and Alumni Endowed Professorship in Recognition of Philo R. Zimmerman and Robert P. Burns, 1995-present
- Editorial board, The Accounting Review, 2000-2005
- Editorial board, Contemporary Accounting Research, 1989-present
- Editorial board, Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, 1998-2000
- Editorial board, Journal of Management Accounting Research, 1989-present
- Founding Editor, E-Business Review, 2002-2003
- Faculty Director of E-Business, 2000-2003
- Chairman, Department of Accounting, 1992-1996
- Associate Editor, The Accounting Review, 1983-1986