Office: 540 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3200
“Prospecting involves sifting through a lot of rocks in hopes of finding a nugget of gold. Financial information from the Internet should be processed in a similar manner.”
- Professor of Accounting Chair of the Department of Accounting
- University of Washington Faculty Athletics Representative
Michael G. Foster Endowed Professor
- PhD Indiana University (2000)
- MBA Indiana University (1996)
- BA Carroll College (1988)
- financial accounting
- How individuals make investment decisions using accounting information, Financial disclosure issues and their impact on investors’ decision-making processes
- At the University of Washington since 2000
- Doctoral Student and Associate Instructor at Indiana University, 1994-2000
- U.S. Representative for Namera Trading Company, 1991–1994
- Quality Control Manager for Pacific Lumber & Shipping Company, 1988–1991
- “Does Coordinated Presentation Help Credit Analysts Identify Firm Characteristics“
Journal Article: Bloomfield, R., Hodge, F., Hopkins, P. and Rennekamp, K., (2015). Contemporary Accounting Research,
- “Does Voluntary Adoption of a Clawback Provision Improve Financial Reporting Quality“
Journal Article: Dehaan, E., Hodge, F. and Shevlin, T., (2013). Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 30(3), pp. 1027-1062.
- “Using Online Video to Announce a Restatement: Influences on Investment Decisions and the Mediating Role of Trust“
Journal Article: Elliott, B., Hodge, F., and Sedor, L., (2012). The Accounting Review, Vol. 87(2), pp. 513-535.
- “The Effects of Financial Statement Information Proximity and Feedback on Cash Flow Forecasts“
Journal Article: Hodge, F., Hopkins, P., and Wood, D., (2010). Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 27(1), pp. 101-133.
- “Do Managers Value Stock Options and Restricted Stock Consistent with Economic Theory?“
Journal Article: Hodge, F., Rajgopal, S. and Shevlin, T., (2009). Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 26(3), pp. 899-932.
- “Finances and College Athletics“
Journal Article: Hodge, F. and Tanlu, L., (2009). New Directions for Institutional Research, Vol. 2009(144), pp. 7-18.
- ““The Association Between Non-Professional Investors’ Information Choices and Portfolio Returns: The Importance of Investing Experience“
Journal Article: Elliott, W., Hodge, F., and Jackson, K., (2008). Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 25(2), pp. 473-498.
- “Are MBA students a Good Proxy for Non-Professional Investors?“
Journal Article: Elliott, B., Hodge, F., Kennedy, J., and Pronk, M., (2007). The Accounting Review, Vol. 82(1), pp. 139-168.
- “Top Management Team Prestige and Organizational Legitimacy: An Examination of Investor Perceptions“
Journal Article: Certo, T., and Hodge, F., (2007). Journal of Managerial Issues, Vol. 19(4), pp. 461-477.
- “Audit Qualifications of Income-Decreasing Accounting Changes“
Journal Article: Hodge, F., Martin, R., and Pratt, J., (2006). Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 23(2), pp. 369-394.
- “Management Reporting Incentives and Classification Credibility: The Effects of Reporting Discretion and Reputation“
Journal Article: Hodge, F., Hopkins, P., and Pratt, J., (2006). Accounting, Organizations and Society, Vol. 31(7), pp. 623-634.
- “The Evolution of Stock Option Accounting: Disclosure, Voluntary Recognition, Mandated Recognition and Management Disavowals“
Journal Article: Frederickson, J., Hodge, F., and Pratt, J., (2006). The Accounting Review, Vol. 81(5), pp. 1073-1093.
- “The Impact of Expertise and Investment Familiarity on Investors’ Use of Online Financial Report Information“
Journal Article: Hodge, F., and Pronk, M., (2006). Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance, Vol. 21(3), pp. 267-292.
- “Does Search-facilitating Technology Improve the Transparency of Financial Reporting?“
Journal Article: Hodge, F., Kennedy, J., and Maines, L., (2004). The Accounting Review, Vol. 79(3), pp. 687-703.
- “Investors’ Perception of Earnings Quality, Auditor Independence, and the Usefulness of Audited Financial Information“
Journal Article: Hodge, F., (2003). Accounting Horizons, Vol. Supplement, pp. 37-48.
- “Hyperlinking Unaudited Information to Audited Financial Statements: Effects on Investor Judgments“
Journal Article: Hodge, F., (2001). The Accounting Review, Vol. 76(4), pp. 675-691.
- “Offshoring and Audit Reviewer Effectiveness,” with Kim Ikuta
- “Investor Reaction to $Firm or #CEO Use of Social Media for Negative Disclosures,” with Brooke Elliott and Steph Grant
- “Do Compensation Clawback and Holdback Provisions Change Executive Reporting Decisions,” with Amanda Winn
- “How Suspicions of the Method of Earnings Management and its Underlying Motive Affect Investors Trust in Management and Willingness to Invest in the Firm,” with Max Hewitt and Jamie Pratt
- “Investor Behavior and the Benefits of Disperse Stock Ownership,” with Darren Bernard and Nicole Cade
Honors and Awards
- Full-time MBA Professor of the Year, 2015
- PACCAR Award for Teaching Excellence, 2014
- Charles E. Summer Outstanding Teaching Award, 2014
- PhD Faculty Mentor Award, 2014
- Daniel R. Siegel Service Award (2014
- Technology Management MBA Excellence in Teaching Award, 2010, 2011, 2012, & 2013
- Dean's Award for Graduate Teaching, 2012
- Wells Fargo Faculty Award for Undergraduate Teaching, 2010
- William A. and Helen I. Fowler Endowment for Special Achievement in Accounting, 2008
- Dean's Faculty Research Award, 2007
- Appointed to the Financial Accounting Standards Research Initiative, 2007
- Dean's Junior Faculty Research Award, 2006
- Seattle Children's Hospital Audit Committee
- Advisory Committee to the President on Intercollegiate Athletics
- Editorial Boards: The Accounting Review; Accounting, Organizations & Society; Contemporary Accounting Research