To support the additional expenses of an exchange or study abroad program, Global Business Center Study Abroad Scholarships are available for undergraduate and graduate Foster School of Business students. Awards range from $500 to $5,000 with the average award around $1,600.
You must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Participation in an exchange, internship, or study abroad program approved by the University of Washington.
- Program will take place between Summer 2018 – Spring 2019
- Michael G. Foster School of Business student status during participation in the program.
- Determination of financial need based on FAFSA form (for all need-based awards).
- In good standing with the Michael G. Foster School of Business and University of Washington.
There is only one application cycle per year. If you are going abroad 2017-2018, the cycle is closed. The application for funding for 2018-2019 study abroad scholarships will open in January 2018. To be considered, you will need to complete both the general application and the Global Business Center Study Abroad application by 5pm on April 15, 2018. These will both be accessible via an“Apply Now” button on our website in 2018. In order to complete the application you will need:
- Resume (to be uploaded as PDFs) labeled Lastname_Firstname_resume
- Personal Statement 1: Statement discussing your academic background, career goals, and explanation of how an exchange or study abroad program enhances or supplements your education or career goals. You will copy and paste this into the application. (500 words)
- Personal Statement 2: Statement describing your involvement within the Foster School and any leadership positions you hold. If you are a first year student, how do you plan to get involved at Foster? What leadership positions do you aspire to? You will copy and paste this into the application. (500 words)
- Personal Statement 3: Statement discussing how this scholarship funding will impact you financially and/or enable you to study abroad. You will copy and paste this into the application. (500 words)
What does it fund?
Global Business Center Study Abroad scholarships can be used for summer programs including the Foster School Rome Program, Exploration Seminars, and academic quarter or semester programs. Our scholarship funds come from very generous Foster School alums and friends that support study abroad. Some of these funds are designated for certain programs (Rome Program, WHU Exchange, Exchanges in Asia, etc.) or for students that can demonstrate financial need. We recommend that you fill out FAFSA before submitting your application.
Other Scholarship Opportunities
- Office of Merit Scholarships, Fellowships and Awards
- UW Study Abroad Office Scholarship Resources
- Foreign Language and Area Studies Undergraduate Fellowship – Awards up to $15,000 funding summer intensive language study and/or language and international studies during the academic year.
- ScanDesign Scholarship– $7,500 for undergraduates interested in studying in Denmark on the Copenhagen Business School exchange.
- Dufey Scholarship – Up to $5,000 for undergraduates interested in studying at WHU in Koblenz, Germany. Dr. Gunter Dufey generously founded this scholarship to encourage UW students to study at WHU. All students that apply to the WHU Foster School Exchange will be automatically considered.
- National Security Education Program David L. Boren Undergraduate Scholarships
- Bonderman Fellowship – $20K for travel
- Gilman International Scholarship Program
For MBA/Graduate Students
- Robert Bosch Foundation Fellowship (Germany)
- UW Jackson School Fellowships
- Catholic Relief Services Overseas Fellows Program
- Blakemore Freeman Fellowships for Advanced Asian Language Study (Awarded to individuals pursuing professional, academic, or business careers)
- Scan|Design Danish Studies up to $9,000 for MBA students studying on the Copenhagen Business School exchange program.