To support the additional expenses of an exchange or study abroad program, Global Business Center Study Abroad Scholarships are available for undergraduate and graduate Foster School of Business students. Awards range from $500 to $5,000 with the average award around $1,600.
You must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Participation in an exchange, internship, or study abroad program approved by the University of Washington.
- Program will take place between Summer 2017 – Spring 2018.
- Michael G. Foster School of Business student status during participation in the program.
- Determination of financial need based on FAFSA form (for all need-based awards).
- In good standing with the Michael G. Foster School of Business and University of Washington.
There is only one application cycle per year. To be considered, you will need to complete both the general application and the Global Business Center Study Abroad application by 5pm on April 15. They are both accessed via the “Apply Now” button above. In order to complete the application you will need:
- Resume (to be uploaded as PDFs) labeled Lastname_Firstname_resume
- Personal Statement 1: Statement discussing your academic background, career goals, and explanation of how an exchange or study abroad program enhances or supplements your education or career goals. You will copy and paste this into the application. (500 words)
- Personal Statement 2: Statement describing your involvement within the Foster School and any leadership positions you hold. If you are a first year student, how do you plan to get involved at Foster? What leadership positions do you aspire to? You will copy and paste this into the application. (500 words)
- Personal Statement 3: Statement discussing how this scholarship funding will impact you financially and/or enable you to study abroad. You will copy and paste this into the application. (500 words)
What does it fund?
Global Business Center Study Abroad scholarships can be used for summer programs including the Foster School Rome Program, Exploration Seminars, and academic quarter or semester programs. Our scholarship funds come from very generous Foster School alums and friends that support study abroad. Some of these funds are designated for certain programs (Rome Program, WHU Exchange, Exchanges in Asia, etc.) or for students that can demonstrate financial need. We recommend that you fill out FAFSA before submitting your application.
Other Scholarship Opportunities
- UW Study Abroad Office Scholarships.
- ScanDesign Scholarship – $7,500 for undergraduates or $9,000 for MBAs interested in studying in Denmark (Copenhagen Business School).
- Dufey Scholarship – Up to $5,000 for undergraduates and MBAs interested in studying at WHU in Koblenz, Germany. Dr. Gunter Dufey generously founded this scholarship to encourage UW students to study at WHU. All students that apply to the WHU Foster School Exchange will be automatically considered.
- Foreign Language and Area Studies Undergraduate Fellowship – Awards up to $15,000 funding summer intensive language study and/or language and international studies during the academic year.