Office: 554 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3200
- Associate Professor of Accounting Moss Adams Endowed Professor
Certified General Accountant of Canada, International, 2000
- PhD University of Michigan (2006)
- MS Washington University in St. Louis (2001)
- BE Shanghai University of Finance and Economics (1999)
- financial accounting
- Predicting accounting misstatement/fraud, determinants and consequences of earnings quality, internal control over financial reporting
- At the University of Washington since 2006
- “Benefits and costs of Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404(b) exemption: Evidence from small firms’ internal control disclosures“
Journal Article: Ge, W., Koester, A., and McVay, S., (forthcoming). Journal of Accounting and Economics,
- “What are the consequences of board destaggering?“
Journal Article: Ge, W., Tanlu, L., and Zhang, J., (2016). Review of Accounting Studies, Vol. 21(3), pp. 808-858.
- “The Effect of Manager-Specific Optimism on the Tone of Earnings Conference Calls“
Journal Article: Davis, A., Ge, W., Matsumoto, D., and Zhang, J., (2015). Review of Accounting Studies, Vol. 20(2), pp. 639-673.
- “Do CFOs Have Styles of Their Own? An Empirical Investigation of the Effect of Individual CFOs on Accounting Practices“
Journal Article: Ge, W., Matsumoto, D., and Zhang, J., (2011). Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 28(4), pp. 1141-1179.
- “Predicting Material Accounting Misstatements“
Journal Article: Dechow, P., Ge, W., Larson, C., and Sloan, R., (2011). Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 28(1), pp. 17-82.
- “Why do CFOs Become Involved in Material Accounting Manipulations?“
Journal Article: Feng, M., Ge, W., Luo, S., and Shevlin, T., (2011). Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 51(1-2), pp. 21-36.
- “Understanding Earnings Quality: A Review of the Proxies, Their Determinants and Their Consequences“
Journal Article: Dechow, P., Ge, W., and Schrand, C., (2010). Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 50(2-3), pp. 344-401.
- “Accruals Quality and Internal Control over Financial Reporting“
Journal Article: Doyle, J., Ge, W., and McVay, S., (2007). The Accounting Review, Vol. 82(5), pp. 1141-1170.
- “Determinants of Weaknesses in Internal Control over Financial Reporting“
Journal Article: Doyle, J., Ge, W., and McVay, S., (2007). Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 44(1-2), pp. 193-223.
- “The Persistence of Earnings and Cash Flows and the Role of Special Items: Implication for the Accrual Anomaly“
Journal Article: Dechow, P., and Ge, W., (2006). Review of Accounting Studies, Vol. 11(2-3), pp. 253-296.
- “The Disclosure of Material Weaknesses in Internal Control after the Sarbanes-Oxley Act“
Journal Article: Ge, W., and McVay, S., (2005). Accounting Horizons, Vol. 19(3), pp. 137-158.
- “Firm-Manager Matching and the Costs and Benefits of Hiring an Accounting Expert CFO” with Darren Bernard, Dawn Matsumoto, and Sara Toynbee
- “The Effect of Internal Control on Corporate Corruption: Evidence from China” with Zining Li, Qiliang Liu, and Sarah McVay
- “What Are the Costs of Admitting Mistakes for Foreign Firms?” with Dawn Matsumoto, Emily Jing Wang, and Jenny Li Zhang
- “Earnings Guidance and Earnings Manipulation” with Mei Feng, Chan Li and Nandu Nagarajan
- National Office Research Intern for PricewaterhouseCoopers, New Jersey, 2004
Honors and Awards
- Dean's Award for Excellence in Graduate Teaching, 2016
- MBA Evening Class of 2017 Professor of the Year, 2015
- MBA Evening Class of 2016 Professor of the Year, 2014
- American Accounting Association Financial Accounting and Reporting Section Outstanding Service Award, 2013
- Ron Crockett Award for Undergraduate Teaching, 2013
- William A. and Helen I. Fowler Endowment for Special Achievement in Accounting, 2011
- Undergraduate Accounting Faculty of the Year, 2011
- The William R. Gregory Faculty Fellowship, 2010-present
- The Glen McLaughlin Prize for Research in Accounting Ethics for "Why do CFOs Become Involved in Material Accounting Manipulations?", 2009
- First Prize, Chicago Quantitative Alliance 12th Annual Academic Competition, 2005
- Best Paper Award for "The Persistence of Earnings and Cash Flows and the Role of Special Items: Implications for the Accrual Anomaly," RAST Conference, 2005
- Robert D. and Janet E. Neary Scholarship, 2005
- U.S. Representative, AFAANZ Doctoral Consortium, Australia, 2004
- American Accounting Association Doctoral Consortium Fellow, 2004
- Deloitte and Touche Doctoral Fellowship, 2003
- William A. Paton Fellowship, 2001-2006
- University of Michigan Business School Fellowship, 2001-2005
- Editorial Board, The Accounting Review
- Editorial Board, Contemporary Accounting Research
- Ad Hoc Referee, Journal of Accounting Research
- Ad Hoc Referee, Journal of Accounting and Economics
- Ad Hoc Referee, The Accounting Review
- Ad Hoc Referee, Review of Accounting Studies
- Ad Hoc Referee, Management Science
- Ad Hoc Referee, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis
- Ad Hoc Referee, Journal of Accounting and Public Policies
- Ad Hoc Referee, Accounting Horizons
- Earnings Properties Track Editor, Editorial Committee for the 2013 Midyear Meeting of the Financial Accounting and Reporting Section (FARS)
- National Meeting Coordinator of the Financial Accounting and Reporting Section for the 2013 American Accounting Association Annual Meeting