Office: 202 Dempsey Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3223
“...Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted...”
Stephan E. Sefcik
- Professor of Accounting PricewaterhouseCoopers Professor of Accounting
- Associate Dean of Undergraduate Programs
- PhD University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1983)
- MS University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1976)
- BS University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1974)
- financial accounting
- Accounting irregularities, Corporate governance and class-action lawsuits
- At the University of Washington since 1986
- Assistant professor at the University of British Columbia, 1982-1986
- “The Value Relevance of Greenhouse Gas Emission Allowances: An Exploratory Study in the Related United States SO2 Market“
Journal Article: Johnson, D., Sefcik, S., and Soderstrom, N., (2008). European Accounting Review, Vol. 17(4), pp. 747-764.
- “Executive Compensation and Non-Financial Risk: An Empirical Examination“
Journal Article: Campbell, K., Johnson, D., Sefcik, S., and Soderstrom, N., (2007). Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Vol. 26(4), pp. 436-462.
- “Earnings Management, Stock Issues, and Shareholder Lawsuits“
Journal Article: DuCharme, L.L., Malatesta, P.H., and Sefcik, S., (2004). Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 71(1), pp. 27-49.
- “Earnings Management: IPO Valuation and Subsequent Performance“
Journal Article: DuCharme, L.L., Malatesta, P.H., and Sefcik, S., (2001). Journal of Accounting, Auditing, and Finance, Vol. 16(4), pp. 369-396.
- “Disclosure of Contingent Environmental Liabilities: Some Unintended Consequences“
Journal Article: Kennedy, J., Mitchell, T., and Sefcik, S., (1998). Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 36(2), pp. 257-277.
- “An Empirical Examination of Dividend Policy Following Debt Issues“
Journal Article: Long, M., Malitz, I., and Sefcik, (1994). The Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Vol. 29(1), pp. 131-144.
- “Determinants of Accounting Method Choice in the Savings and Loan Industry“
Journal Article: Blacconiere, W.G., Bowen, R.M., Sefcik, S., and Stinson, C.H., (1991). Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 14(2), pp. 167-201.
- “Insubstance Defeasances: Security Price Reactions and Motivation“
Journal Article: Hand, J.R.M., Hughes, P.J., and Sefcik, S., (1990). Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 13(1), pp. 47-89.
- “A Test of Dividend Irrelevance Using Volume Reactions to a Change in Dividend Policy“
Journal Article: Richardson, G., Sefcik, S., and Thompson, R., (1986). Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 17(2), pp. 313-333.
- “Why was Internet IPO Underpricing so Severe?” with Larry L. DuCharme and Shiva Rajgopal, April 2002.
Honors and Awards
- GEMBA Teaching Excellence Award, 2013
- Undergraduate Professor of the Year for Accounting, 2006, & 2008
- Wells Fargo Faculty Award for Undergraduate Teaching, 2006
- Undergraduate Professor of the Quarter for Spring for Accounting, 2006
- WSCPA Outstanding Educator, 2003-2004
- Technology Management MBA Excellence in Teaching Award, 2003
- PACCAR Award for Teaching Excellence, 1999
- Reimers Research Fellow, 1999
- The Management Program's Excellence in Teaching Award, 1998 & 1999
- Dan Seigel Service Award, 1992 & 1999
- Dean's Leadership and Service Award, 1998
- Charles Summer Teaching Award, 1996
- Andrew V. Smith Faculty Development Award, 1996
- Research Fellow in The Environmental Management Program, 1994-1999
- William R. Gregory Accounting Faculty Fellow, 1993-1994
- MBA Core Professor of the Year, 1993
- Alpha Kappa Psi Undergraduate Professor of the Year, 1992
- Burlington Northern Foundation Teaching Achievement Award, 1990
- Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs, 2007-present
- Faculty Senate, 2005-2007
- Faculty Director MS/MBA Program, 2005-2007
- Faculty Director Technology Management MBA Program, 2002-2007
- Faculty Director, The Environmental Management Program, MBA, 1994-1999
- Chair, Department of Accounting, 1999-2002
- Emeritus, Advisory Board of the Business Economics Development Program, 2004-present
- Advisory Board of the Business and Economic Development Program (now, Center for Consulting and Business Development), 1995-present
- Faculty Council,Chair, 1998-1999
- Masters Program Committee, Chair, 1994-1996
- Editorial board of the Journal of Accounting and Public Policy