Office: 457 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-32026
“In a rapidly changing market landscape, understanding consumers and how they may be changing is more critical than ever. Businesses usually head downhill when they lose sight of their consumers.”
Shailendra Pratap Jain
- Professor of Marketing James D. Currie Professor of Marketing
- PhD New York University (1995)
- MPhil New York University (1992)
- MBA Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (1984)
- BE Birla Institute of Technology & Science (1982)
- brand management
- consumer behavior
- consumer segmentation
- Branding, Categorization, Comparative advertising, Economics of information
- Individual differences (self-regulation, culture, self-construal, implicit theories) in responses to marketing, stimuli, motivated reasoning, warranties
- At the University of Washington since 2008
- Professor, University of Washington, 2011
- Associate Professor, University of Washington, 2008-2011
- Indiana University, 2002-2008
- Associate Professor with tenure, 2008
- Assistant Professor and 3M Research Scholar, 2002-2008
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Indian School of Business (ISB), Winter 2008, & Winter 2007
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Johnson Graduate School of Management, Cornell University, 2001-2002
- Assistant Professor, University of Rochester, 1994-2001
- Instructor, New York University, 1993-1994
- Branch Manager, Mudra Communications Ltd., India, an affiliate of DDB Needham Worldwide, an Omnicom Group agency, 1987-1990
- Manager, Business Development, Strategy, and Research, Ulka Advertising, India, an affiliate of FCB, 1985-1987
- Assistant Brand Manager, McDowell & Co. Ltd., India, 1984-1985
- “Cracking the Code: How Managers Can Drive Profits by Leveraging Consumer Psychology“
Book: Hsieh, M., Blower, K., Li, X., Jain, S.P. & Posavac, S.S., (2011). Comparative Advertising Research: A Review and Research Agenda.
- “Stock Market Response to Regulatory Reports of Deceptive Advertising: The Moderating Effect of Omission Bias and Firm Reputation“
Journal Article: Wiles, M.A., Jain, S.P., Mishra, S., & Lindsey, C., (2010). Marketing Science, Vol. 19(5), pp. 828-845.
- “Consumer Responses to Brand Elimination: An Attributional Perspective“
Journal Article: Mao, H., Xueming L., Jain, S.P., (2009). Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol. 19(3), pp. 280-289.
- “On Assuaging Positive Bias in Environmental Value Elicitation“
Journal Article: Posavac, S.S., Brakus, J.J., Cronley, M.L., & Jain, S.P., (2009). Journal of Economic Psychology, Vol. 30(3), pp. 482-489.
- “The Influence of Consumers’ Lay Theories on Approach/Avoidance Motivation“
Journal Article: Jain, S.P., Mathur., P., & Maheswaran, D., (2009). Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 46(1), pp. 56-65.
- “For Better or For Worse? Valenced Comparative Framing and Regulatory Focus“
Journal Article: Jain, S.P., Lindsey, C., Agrawal, N., & Maheswaran D., (2007). Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 34(1), pp. 57-65.
- “The Influence of Chronic and Situational Self-Construal on Categorization“
Journal Article: Jain, S.P., Desai, K.K., & Mao, H., (2007). Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 34(1), pp. 66-76.
- “Towards Dimensionalizing Warranty Information: The Role of Warranty Redemption Costs“
Journal Article: Jain, S.P., Slotegraaf, R., Lindsey, C.D.,, (2007). Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol. 17(1), pp. 70-80.
- “Selective Assessment and Positivity Bias in Environmental Evaluations“
Journal Article: Posavac S.S., Brakus J.J., Jain S.P., Cronley M.L., (2006). Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, Vol. 12(1), pp. 43-49.
- “When More may be Less: The Impact of Regulatory Focus on Responses to Different Comparative Frames“
Journal Article: Jain, S.P., Agrawal, N., Maheswaran, D., (2006). Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 33(1), pp. 91-98.
- “Valenced Comparisons“
Journal Article: Jain, S.P., & Posavac, S.S., (2004). Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 41(1), pp. 46-58.
- “Preference Consistency and Preference Strength: Processing and Judgmental Issues“
Journal Article: Jain, S.P., (2003). Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol. 33(5), pp. 1088-1109.
- “Pre-purchase Attribute Verifiability, Source Credibility, and Persuasion“
Journal Article: Jain, S.P., & Posavac, S.S., (2001). Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol. 11(3), pp. 169-180.
- “Motivated Reasoning: A Depth-of-Processing Perspective“
Journal Article: Jain, S.P., Maheswaran D., (2000). Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 27(4), pp. 358-371.
- 3M, Ingersoll Rand, Kodak, Microsoft, Ogilvy & Mather, Philip Morris, POSCO, Xerox
Honors and Awards
- Dean's Faculty Research Award, Foster School of Business, 2010
- Co-Chair, Society for Consumer Psychology (SCP) Conference, San Diego, 2009
- Kelley School of Business Research Productivity Award, 2007
- 3M University Relations Faculty Research Grant, 2006-2008
- Co-Chair, American Psychological Association Division 23 Conference, 2005
- Daniel Siegel Award for Outstanding Contribution and Service to MBA Community, 2010
- EMBA Professor of the Year, North America option, 2010
- EMBA Professor of the Year, Regional option, 2010, & 2011
- PACCAR Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2009
- MBA Core Professor of the Year, 2009
- MBA Core Professor of the Quarter for Winter, 2009
- Member of the Kelley School MBA core faculty ranked # 1 for core teaching in the 2004 Business Week B-School Rankings and Profiles Finalist, Trustees Teaching Award, Kelley School, 2005, 2006, 2007
- MBA Teaching Excellence Award, Kelley School, 2004, 2005, 2008
- Nominated for graduate (doctoral) faculty mentor award, Kelley School, 2005
- MBA Teaching Excellence Award, Simon School, 1997, 1998, 2001
- MBA Teaching Honor Roll, Simon School, Winter 1996 and Spring 1997, 1998, 1999
- Listed as a four-star teacher at Simon School in the 1998 Business Week B-Schools Rankings and Profiles
- Undergraduate Teaching Excellence Award, Stern School, Spring 1994
- Guest Associate Editor, Journal of Consumer Psychology, 2008
- Editorial Review Board, Journal of Consumer Psychology, 2005-present
- Reviewer, Journal of Consumer Research
- Reviewer, Journal of Marketing
- Reviewer, Journal of Marketing Research
- Reviewer, Journal of Retailing
- Reviewer, Journal of Advertising
- Reviewer, Advances in Consumer Research
- Reviewer, American Marketing Association
- Society for Consumer Psychology dissertation competition