Office: 573 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3226
- Corporations stockpiling cash, some of it in risky investments
- Clouded judgment: mood influences credit approval decisions and outcomes
- Master Class: Foster School amplified by nine new faculty members
- The Year in Research: 2013-14
- Corporate capital flows to CEO cronies, but that’s not always a bad thing
- Professor of Finance William A. Fowler Endowed Professor
- PhD University of Southern California (2008)
- MBA Hebrew University of Jerusalem (2003)
- BA Hebrew University of Jerusalem (2001)
- behavioral finance
- corporate finance
- corporate governance
- dividend and payout policy; stock splits
- financial institutions / banking
- mergers and acquisitions
- Spillovers inside Conglomerates, Dissecting Conglomerates, Political Connections and Government Contracts, Precautionary Savings with Risky Assets
- At the University of Washington since 2012
- Assistant Professor of Finance, University of Michigan, 2008-2012
- “Clouded Judgment: The Role of Sentiment in Credit Origination“
Journal Article: Cortés, K., Duchin, R., & Sosyura, D., (forthcoming). Journal of Financial Economics,
- “Looking in the Rear View Mirror: The Effect of Managers’ Professional Experience on Corporate Financial Policy“
Journal Article: Dittmar, A., & Duchin, R., (forthcoming). Review of Financial Studies,
- “Precautionary Savings with Risky Assets: When Cash is not Cash“
Journal Article: Harford, J., Duchin, R., Gilbert, T., & Hrdlicka, C., (forthcoming). Journal of Finance,
- “Cash Flow Hedging and Liquidity Choices“
Journal Article: Disatnik, D., Duchin, R., & Schmidt, B., (2014). Review of Finance, Vol. 18(2), pp. 715-748.
- “Peer Effects in Risk Aversion and Trust“
Journal Article: Ahern, K., Duchin, R., & Shumway, T., (2014). The Review of Financial Studies, Vol. 27(11), pp. 3213-3240.
- “Safer Ratios, Riskier Portfolios: Banks’ Response to Government Aid“
Journal Article: Duchin, R., & Sosyura, D., (2014). Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 113(1), pp. 1-28.
- “Divisional Managers and Internal Capital Markets“
Journal Article: Duchin, R., & Sosyura, D., (2013). Journal of Finance, Vol. 68(2), pp. 387-429.
- “Riding the Merger Wave: Uncertainty, Reduced Monitoring, and Bad Acquisitions“
Journal Article: Duchin, R., & Schmidt, B., (2013). Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 107(1), pp. 69-88.
- “The Politics of Government Investment“
Journal Article: Duchin, R., & Sosyura, D., (2012). Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 106(1), pp. 24-48.
- “Cash Holdings and Corporate Diversification“
Journal Article: Duchin, R., (2010). Journal of Finance, Vol. 65(3), pp. 955-992.
- “Costly External Finance, Corporate Investment, and the Subprime Mortgage Credit Crisis“
Journal Article: Duchin, R., Ozbas, O., & Sensoy, B., (2010). Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 97(3), pp. 418-435.
- “When are Outside Directors Effective“
Journal Article: Duchin, R., Matsusaka, J., & Ozbas, O., (2010). Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 96, pp. 195-214.
- “Spillovers inside Conglomerates: Incentives and Capital” with Amir Goldberg and Denis Sosyura
- “Precautionary Savings with Risky Assets: When Cash Is Not Cash” with Thomas Gilbert, Jarrad Harford, and Chris Hrdlicka
- “Political Connections, Incentives, and Innovation: Evidence from Contract-Level Data” with Jonathan Brogaard and Matthew Denes
- “Dissecting Conglomerates” with Oliver Boguth and Mikhail Simutin
- “The Dynamics of Cash” with Amy Dittmar
- “Portfolio Optimization and Firm Size” with Moshe Levy