Office: 510 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3226
“Governments do more evil in the attempt to foster collective welfare than do individuals in pursuit of private gain. Enlightened greed is the greatest force in human society, acting to promote both individual and collective welfare.”
- Professor of Finance Norman J. Metcalfe Professor in Finance
- PhD University of Rochester (1982)
- MS University of Rochester (1976)
- BA University of California, Santa Barbara (1973)
- corporate governance
- Dual Class Shares and Corporate Innovation, Deregulation and the Cost of Debt
- At the University of Washington since 1980
- Visiting scholar at Arizona State University, 1997
- economics instructor at Colgate University, 1977-1980
- Research Associate for Weyerhaeuser’s Pension Fund Investments Group, 1988-1991
- “Corporate Ownership Structure and the Choice between Bank Debt and Public Debt“
Journal Article: Lin, C., Malatesta, P., & Xuan, Y., (2013). Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 109(2), pp. 517-534.
- “Corporate Investment, Government Control, and Financing Channels: Evidence from China’s Listed Companies“
Journal Article: Firth, M., Malatesta, P., Xin, Q., & Xu, L., (2012). Journal of Corporate Finance, Vol. 18(3), pp. 433-450.
- “Corporate Ownership Structure and Bank Loan Syndicate Structure“
Journal Article: Lin, C., Malatesta, P., & Xuan, Y., (2012). Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 104(1), pp. 1-22.
- “Firm Values and Sovereign Wealth Fund Investments“
Journal Article: Dewenter, K., Han, X., & Malatesta, P., (2010). Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 98(2), pp. 256-278.
- “Earnings Management, Stock Issues, and Shareholder Lawsuits“
Journal Article: DuCharme, L.L., Malatesta, P.H., and Sefcik, S., (2004). Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 71(1), pp. 27-49.
- “Managerial Succession and Firm Performance“
Journal Article: Huson, M., Malatesta, P., & Parrino, R., (2004). Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 74(2), pp. 237-275.
- “Earnings Management: IPO Valuation and Subsequent Performance“
Journal Article: DuCharme, L.L., Malatesta, P.H., and Sefcik, S., (2001). Journal of Accounting, Auditing, and Finance, Vol. 16(4), pp. 369-396.
- “State-Owned and Privately-Owned Firms: An Empirical Analysis of Profitability, Leverage, and Labor Intensity“
Journal Article: Dewenter, K., & Malatesta, P., (2001). The American Economic Review, Vol. 91(1), pp. 320-334.
- “Public Offerings of State-Owned and Privately-Owned Enterprises: An International Comparison“
Journal Article: Dewenter, K., & Malatesta, P., (1997). Journal of Finance, Vol. 52(4), pp. 1659-1679.
- “Corporate Governance and Shareholder Initiatives: Empirical Evidence“
Journal Article: Karpoff, J. M., Malatesta, P., & Walkling, R., (1996). Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 98(2), pp. 256-278.
- Eastman Kodak, litigation support
- U.S. Navy, economic analysis of the selective reenlistment bonus program
Honors and Awards
- Norman J. Metcalfe Faculty Fellow in Finance, 1997 – 2016
- Norman J. Metcalfe Endowed Professor of Finance, 2016 – present
- Jensen Prize for the best paper published in the Journal of Financial Economics during the year 2011 in the areas of corporate finance and organizations (first prize)
- Managing editor of the Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 1987-present
- Program committee member of the American Finance Association, 1991, 1993-1995
- Executive committee member of the Western Finance Association, 1987-1988