Office: 420 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3226
Oliver J. Rutz
- Associate Professor of Marketing
- PhD University of California, Los Angeles (2007)
- MBA University of California, Los Angeles (2003)
- Diplom (Economics) Ruprecht-Karls-Universitaet (1999)
- database marketing
- direct marketing
- marketing research
- social media
- At the University of Washington since 2011
- Yale School of Management, Assistant Professor of Marketing, 2007-2011
- McKinsey & Company, Germany, Associate and Senior Associate, 1999-2003
- “A Latent Instrumental Variables Approach to Modeling Keyword Conversion in Paid Search Advertising“
Journal Article: Bucklin, R., Rutz, O., & Sonnier, G., (2012). Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 49(3), pp. 306-319.
- “Does Banner Advertising Affect Browsing for Brands? Clickstream Choice Model Says Yes, For Some“
Journal Article: Bucklin, R., & Rutz, O., (2012). Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Vol. 10(2), pp. 231-257.
- “A Dynamic Model of the Effect of Online Communications on Firm Sales“
Journal Article: Sonnirt, G.P., McAlister, L., & Rutz, O.J., (2011). Marketing Science, Vol. 30, pp. 702-716.
- “From Generic to Branded: A Model of Spillover Dynamics in Paid Search Advertising“
Journal Article: Rutz, O.J., & Bucklin, R.E., (2011). Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 48(1), pp. 87-102.
- “Modeling Indirect Effects of Paid Search Advertising: Which Keywords Lead to More Future Visits?“
Journal Article: Rutz, O.J., Trusov, M., & Bucklin, R.E., (2011). Marketing Science, Vol. 30(4), pp. 646-665.
- “Modeling the Evolution of Internal Market Structure“
Journal Article: Rutz, O.J., & Sonnier, G.P., (2011). Marketing Science, Vol. 30(2), pp. 274-289.
- “Zooming in on Paid Search Ads – An Individual-level Model Calibrated on Aggregated Data“
Journal Article: Rutz, O.J., Mullin, P.W., & Trusov, M., (2011). Marketing Science, Vol. 30(5), pp. 789-800.
- “Metrics for the New Internet Marketing Mix“
Book: Review of Marketing Research, (2009). Vol. 5, pp. 175-192.
- “Search Engine Marketing: Effect of Context on Ad Performance” with Michael Trusov
- “Modeling Consumer ‘Self-Selection’ into Keywords: A Dirichlet-Classification Approach,” with Michael Trusov
- “Are Online Metrics Leading Indicators of Brand PErformance?" with Koen Pauwels, Shuba Srinivasan and Randolph E. Bucklin
- Bayesian Model Evaluation,” with Garrett P. Sonnier
- “Dynamic Attribute Inferences in Choice-Based Conjoint,” with Garrett P. Sonnier
- “Modeling Marketing Effectiveness over the Product Life Cycle in the Case of Durables,” with Garrett P. Sonnier
- “A Model of Online Search Behavior: An Application to Air Travel,” with Ammara Mahmood and Catarina Sismeiro
Honors and Awards
- Top 50 Scholar, Author Productivity in the Premier Marketing Journals (2010-2014), American Marketing Association (AMA), 2014
- Winner, Donald R. Lehmann Award, American Marketing Association (AMA), 2013
- Finalist, Paul E. Green Award, American Marketing Association (AMA), 2013
- Finalist, Frank M. Bass Award, Marketing Science Institute (MSI), 2013
- MSI Young Scholar, Marketing Science Institute (MSI), 2013
- Top 50 Scholar, Author Productivity in the Premier Marketing Journals (2009-2013), American Marketing Association (AMA), 2013
- Paul E. Green Award, for the best article in the Journal of Marketing Research that demonstrates the greatest potential to contribute significantly to the practice of marketing research, 2012
- Foster School of Business Dean’s Faculty Research Award, 2012
- MSI Clayton Dissertation Proposal Competition, Honorable Mention, 2007
- EMAC Best Paper based on a Doctoral Dissertation Award, 2007
- Felllow, Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium, 2007
- UCLA Anderson Business Honor Society (Top 15%), 2003
- Finalist, Outstanding Marketing Student, UCLA Anderson, 2003
- Fellowship for Outstanding Foreign Students, UCLA Anderson, 2002-2003
- UCLA Anderson Dean's Scholar, 2001-2002
- McKinsey Fellowship, 2001-2003
- Member of the Editorial Board, International Journal of Research in Marketing (IJRM)
- Member of the Editorial Board, Journal of Interactive Marketing (JIM)
- Member of the Editorial Board, Business Research (BuR)
- Member, Handelsblatt-Management-Forum
- Ad hoc reviewer, Marketing Science
- Ad hoc reviewer, Management Science
- Ad hoc reviewer, Marketing Letters
- MKTG 505 (Marketing Strategy)
- MKTG 565 (Data Driven Marketing)