Office: 465 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3226
“Effective inventory management involves resolving the conflicting goals of reducing inventory levels while still maintaining high levels of service. Utilizing component commonality has helped meet these goals.”
- Associate Professor of Quantitative Methods Evert McCabe Endowed Fellow
- PhD Stanford University (1994)
- MS Stanford University (1991)
- BS Swarthmore College (1989)
- manufacturing management
- operations management
- operations research
- Modeling of issues related to component commonality, delayed product differentiation, and centralization, Optimizing warehouse policies for stowing and picking, Improving the efficiency of unpaced production lines through workload balancing (or unbalancing) and buffer space allocation
- At the University of Washington since 1993
- “Designing Unpaced Production Lines to Optimize Throughput and Work-in-Process Inventory“
Journal Article: Hillier, M.S., (2013). IIE Transaction, Vol. 45(5), pp. 516-527.
- “Introduction to Management Science: A Modeling and Case Studies Approach with Spreadsheets“
Book: Hillier, F.S., & Hillier, M.S., (2013). Mcgraw-Hill
- “Simultaneous optimization of work and buffer space in unpaced production lines with random processing times“
Journal Article: Hillier, F.S., & Hillier, M.S., (2006). IIE Transactions, Vol. 38(1), pp. 53-65.
- “Using Commonality as Backup Safety Stock“
Journal Article: Hillier, M.S., (2002). European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 136(2), pp. 353–365.
- “Component Commonality in Multiple-Period, Assemble-to-Order Systems“
Journal Article: Hillier, M.S., (2000). IIE Transactions, Vol. 32(8), pp. 755-766.
- “Optimal Component Assignment and Board Grouping in Printed Circuit Board Manufacturing“
Journal Article: Brandeau, M.L., & Hillier, M.S., (1998). Operations Research, Vol. 46(5), pp. 675-689.
- “Optimizing Inventory Location and Routing at a Retail Fulfillment Center,” Hillier, M. and T. Klastorin.
Honors and Awards
- Evert McCabe Endowed Fellowship, 2013-2016, 2010-2013, 2007-2010, & 2004-2007
- Paccar Award for Teaching Excellence, 2007, & 2013
- Eight-time winner of Daytime MBA Core Professor of the Quarter, Spring 2013, Spring 2012, Spring 2011, Spring 2010, Spring 2009, Spring 2007, Spring 2006, & Spring 2005
- MBA Elective Professor of the Year, 2006-2007
- Two-time winner of MBA Elective Professor of the Quarter, Winter 2001 & Winter 2007
- Evening MBA Core Professor of the Quarter, Winter 2005
- Dean’s Citizenship Award for "Exemplary Citizenship in the UW Business School", 2004
- Neal and Jan Dempsey Endowed Faculty Fellowship, 2002-2003 & 2003-2004
- Best Paper Award for 2000-2001, IIE Transactions (Scheduling and Logistics)
Current Professional Affiliations
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
- Institute of Industrial Engineers