Office: 524 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3226
“In today’s fast-paced technological environment, many firms need to rely on other firms as a source of technological know-how. Those firms that are proficient at forming and managing such alliances will gain a competitive advantage over those less capable.”
- Professor of Management Michael G. Foster Endowed Professor
- PhD Indiana University
- MBA Washington State University
- BS Washington State University
- MBA Washington State University
- competitive strategy
- global business
- strategic alliances
- technology and innovation strategy
- Formation and performance of technology alliances, International strategic alliances, Influence of national culture on cooperation, Emerging economies
- At the University of Washington since 2000
- Assistant Professor at Pennsylvania State University, 1997-2000
- “Spin-outs and spillback: How incumbent firms learn from those that have learned from them“
Journal Article: Kim, J., Steensma, H.K., (2017). Strategic Management Journal,
- “The influence of technological links, social ties and incumbent firm opportunistic propensity on the formation of corporate venture capital deals“
Journal Article: Kim, J. & Steensma, H.K., (2017). Journal of Management,
- “A Comparative Analysis of Patent Assertion Entities in Markets for Intellectual Property Rights“
Journal Article: Steensma, H.K., Chari, M., & Heidi, R.,, (2016). Organization Science, Vol. 27,
- “Learning to Collaborate Through Collaboration: How Allying with Expert Firms Influences Collaborative Innovation in Novice Firms“
Journal Article: Howard, M., Steensma, H.K., Lyles, M., Dhanaraj, (2016). Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 37,
- “The quest for expansive property rights and the failure to disclose known relevant prior art“
Journal Article: Steensma, H.K., Chari, M., & Heidi, R., (2015). Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 35,
- “The Influence of Tie Strength Inequality Across Partner Pairs on the Dissolution of Multipartner Alliances“
Journal Article: Heidl, R., Steensma, H.K., & Phelps, C., (2014). Organization Science, Vol. 25, pp. 1351-1371.
- “Where to explore? Drawing on the guidance of knowledge spillover recipient firms to expand knowledge boundaries“
Journal Article: Yang, H., & Steensma, K., (2014). Research Policy, Vol. 43, pp. 1496-1507.
- “The selection and nurturing effects of corporate investors on new venture innovativeness“
Journal Article: Park, D., & Steensma, K., (2013). Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, Vol. 7, pp. 311-330.
- “Theories of work and working today: Introduction to special topic forum“
Journal Article: Okhuysen, Lepak, Ashcraft, Labianca, Smith, Steensma., (2013). Academy of Management Review, Vol. 38, pp. 491-502.
- “The compensatory relationship between absorptive capacity, social embeddedness and learning from an alliance“
Journal Article: Steensma, H.K., Howard, M.D., Lyles, M., & Dhanaraj, C., (2012). Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, Vol. 6, pp. 291-306.
- “When does corporate venture capital add value for new ventures?“
Journal Article: Park, D., & Steensma, K., (2012). Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 33, pp. 1-22.
- “Learning From What Others Have Learned From You: The Positive Effects of Technological Spillovers on Originating Firms“
Journal Article: Yang, H., Phelps, C., & Steensma, K., (2010). Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 53, pp. 371-389.
- “Combined Effects of Organizational and Professional Identification on the Reciprocity Dynamic for Professional Employees“
Journal Article: Hekman, D.R., Bigley, G.A., Steensma, K., & Hereford, J.F., (2009). Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 52(3), pp. 506-526.
- “Effects of Social Identification on the Relationship Between Administrators’ Influence and Professional Employees’ Adoption of New Work Behavior“
Journal Article: Hekman, D.R., Steensma, K., Bigley, G.A., & Hereford, J.F., (2009). Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 94, pp. 1325-1335.
Honors and Awards
- Dean's Faculty Research Award, 2010
- Ph.D. Outstanding Mentor Award, 2006
- Dean's International Research Award, 2003
- Dean's Entrepreneurship Research Award, 2002
- Dean's Junior Faculty Research Award, 2001
- Licensing Executives Society Research Fellowship, 1996
- Finalist in INFORMS Dissertation Proposal Competition, 1995