Office: 575 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3226
“Competition exposes an industry's faults and inefficiencies. Globalization isn't the cause of the problem, but it does demonstrate the effect - sometimes very painfully. That's the nature of competition.”
- Associate Professor of Finance Joshua Green Family Endowed Professor
- PhD University of Chicago (1993)
- MBA Stanford University (1985)
- MA Stanford University (1985)
- BA Tufts University (1981)
- financial institutions / banking
- international finance
- Financial Services
- International corporate finance including banking regulation, Foreign currency exposure, Stock market competition
- At the University of Washington since 1992
- Consultant for McKinsey & Company, 1985-1988
- Banker for Asia Division of Chemical Bank, 1981-1983
- “Anatomy of a Regulatory Race to the Top: Changes in Delisting Rules at Korea’s Two Stock Exchanges“
Journal Article: Dewenter, K., Kim, C., & Novaes, W., (2010). Journal of Corporate Finance, Vol. 16(4), pp. 456-468.
- “Firm Values and Sovereign Wealth Fund Investments“
Journal Article: Dewenter, K., Han, X., & Malatesta, P., (2010). Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 98(2), pp. 256-278.
- “Can Event Study Methods Solve the Currency Exposure Puzzle?“
Journal Article: Dewenter, K., Higgins, R., & Simin, T., (2005). Pacific Basin Finance Journal, Vol. 13, pp. 119-144.
- “The Risk-Sharing Role of Japanese Keiretsu Business Groups: Evidence from Restructuring in the 1990’s“
Journal Article: Dewenter, K., Higgins, R., & Simin, T., (2003). Japan and the World Economy, Vol. 15(3), pp. 261-274.
- “Investment Bank Reputation and Relaxed Listing Requirements: Evidence from Infrastructure Firm IPOs in Hong Kong“
Journal Article: Dewenter, K., & Field, L., (2001). Pacific Basin Finance Journal, Vol. 9(2), pp. 101-117.
- “State-Owned and Privately-Owned Firms: An Empirical Analysis of Profitability, Leverage, and Labor Intensity“
Journal Article: Dewenter, K., & Malatesta, P., (2001). The American Economic Review, Vol. 91(1), pp. 320-334.
- “Visibility versus Complexity in Business Groups: Evidence from Japanese Keiretsu Firms“
Journal Article: Dewenter, K., Novaes, W., & Petway, R., (2001). The Journal of Business, Vol. 74(1), pp. 79-100.
- “Does Stock Market Development Stimulate Savings?: Evidence from Emerging Stock Markets“
Journal Article: Bonser-Neal, C., & Dewenter, K., (1999). Contemporary Economic Policy, Vol. 17(3), pp. 370-380.
- “Dividends, Asymmetric Information, and Agency Conflicts: Evidence from a Comparison of the Dividend Policies of Japanese and U.S. Firms“
Journal Article: Dewenter, K., & Warther, V., (1998). Journal of Finance, Vol. 53(3), pp. 879-904.
- “Public Offerings of State-Owned and Privately-Owned Enterprises: An International Comparison“
Journal Article: Dewenter, K., & Malatesta, P., (1997). Journal of Finance, Vol. 52(4), pp. 1659-1679.
Honors and Awards
- Undergraduate Professor of the Year for Finance and Business Economics, 2008
- Andrew V. Smith Faculty Development Award, 2006
- William A & Helen I. Fowler Endowment for Special Achievement/Recognition Award, 2002
- Neal and Jan Dempsey Fellowship, 2001-2002, 2002-2003
- Faculty, Young President's Organization Summer University (Venice), 2001
- Core Teaching Team of the Year for Spring, 2000
- MBA Elective Professor of the Quarter for Spring, 1998
- European Union Visitor's Program, 1996
- Dean's International Research Award, 1996
- Finalist for the Academy of International Business' R.N. Farmer Dissertation Award, 1994