Office: 569 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3226
“Productive activities are not randomly organized, and the observed characteristics of the typical organization exist because they improve its ability to compete. The cost of using an inappropriate organizational structure can be substantial.”
- Associate Professor of Finance and Business Economics
- PhD University of California, Los Angeles (1978)
- MBA University of Rochester (1973)
- BA University of Rochester (1972)
- corporate finance
- corporate governance
- dividend and payout policy; stock splits
- initial public offerings
- managerial economics
- Correcting biases in discount rates used for capital budgeting, Meaning of stock price changes when events affect shareholders differently, Effect of health insurance on trauma care
- At the University of Washington since 1979
- Visiting associate professor at University of Chicago, 1986-1988
- Assistant professor at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 1977-1979
- “Organizational Form, Share Transferability, and Firm Performance: Evidence from the ANCSA Corporations“
Journal Article: Karpoff, J. M., & Rice, E., (1989). Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 21(4), pp. 69-105.
- “Experimental Support for the Economic Theory of Risk Averse Behavior“
Journal Article: Allen, R., Harstad, R., & Rice, E., (1986-87). The Social Science Review, Vol. VII(2),
- “Going Private: Minority Freezeouts and Stockholder Wealth“
Journal Article: DeAngelo, H., DeAngelo, L., & Rice, E., (1984). Journal of Law and Economics, Vol. 27(2), pp. 67-401.
- “Going Private: The Effects of a Change in Corporate Ownership Structure“
Journal Article: DeAngelo, H., DeAngelo, L., & Rice, E., (1984). Midland Corporate Finance Journal,
- “The Theory of Price-changing and Monopoly Power“
Journal Article: Rice, E., & Simon, J., (1983-84). Journal of Post-Keynesian Economics, Vol. 6(2), pp. 198-213.
- “Antitakeover Charter Amendments and Stockholder Wealth“
Journal Article: DeAngelo, H., & Rice, E., (1983). Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 11(1-4), pp. 329-359.
- “Rent-seeking and Welfare Loss“
Journal Article: Rice, E., & Ulen, T., (1981). Research in Law and Economics, Vol. 3, pp. 806-862.
- “Measuring Portfolio Performance and the Empirical Content of Asset Pricing Models“
Journal Article: Mayers, D., & Rice, E., (1979). Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 7(1), pp. 3-28.
- “Discussion—Finance and Industrial Organization“
Journal Article: Rice, E., & Weston, J., (1976). Journal of Finance, Vol. 31(2), pp. 743-747.
- Price Costco and Amgen, expert witness
Honors and Awards
- Evening MBA Professor of the Year, Class of 2010, 2008
- Charles Summer Outstanding Teaching Award, 2006
- Evening MBA Professor of the Quarter for Autumn, Class of 2009, 2007
- Evening MBA Professor of the Quarter for Autumn, Class of 2008, 2005, & 2007
- Outstanding Professor, Evening MBA, Class of 2005, 2003
- Evening MBA Core Professor the Year, Class of 2004, 2003
- Evening MBA Outstanding Professor, Class of 2003, 2003
- MBA Elective Professor of the Quarter for Spring 2003, 2003
- MBA Core Professor of the Year, 1995
- Bank of America Faculty Excellence Award, 1984
- Distinguished Speaker in Finance from the Administrative Science Association of Canada, 1983
- Associate editor of theJournal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 1985-1993
- Program committee member for the Western Finance Association, 1988
- Member of numerous UW and Business School committees, including dissertation committees