Office: 511 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3226
“As scholars and practitioners gradually shift their focus from IT providers to IT consumers, the significance of the role of information systems within an organization emerges clearly—in a digital economy, IT not only enables business processes, but IT also transforms them.”
- Professor of Information Systems Marion B. Ingersoll Professor of Information Systems
- PhD University of Rochester (1994)
- MS University of Rochester (1992)
- MS Syracuse University (1989)
- BTech Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (1986)
- data analytics
- data mining
- economics of information systems
- information security and assurance
- systems development
- Online piracy, Information security, IT adoption
- At the University of Washington Foster School of Business since 1997
- Louisiana State University, 1993-1997
- “Optimal Policies for Security Patch Management“
Journal Article: Dey, D., Lahari, A., & Zhang, G., (2015). INFORMS Journal on Computing, Vol. 27(3), pp. 462-477.
- “A Dynamic View of the Impact of Network Structure on Technology Adoption: The Case of OSS Development“
Journal Article: Peng, G. and Dey, D., (2013). Information Systems Research, Vol. 24(4), pp. 1087-1099.
- “Data Quality of Query Results with Generalized Selection Conditions“
Journal Article: Dey, D. and Kumar, S., (2013). Operations Research, Vol. 61(1), pp. 17-31.
- “Effects of Piracy on Quality of Information Goods“
Journal Article: Lahiri, A. and Dey, D., (2013). Management Science, Vol. 59(1), pp. 245–264.
- “Surveying for artifacts: The susceptibility of the OCB-performance evaluation relationship to common rater, item, and measurement context effects“
Journal Article: Podsakoff, N.P., Whiting, S.W., Welsh, D.T., & Mai, K.M., (2013). Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 98, pp. 863-874.
- “Design and Analysis of Contracts for Software Outsourcing“
Journal Article: Dey, D., Fan, M., and Zhang, C., (2010). Information Systems Research, Vol. 21(1), pp. 93–114.
- “Reassessing Data Quality for Information Products“
Journal Article: Dey, D. and Kumar, S., (2010). Management Science, Vol. 56(12), pp. 2316–2322.
- “A Framework for Reconciling Attribute Values from Multiple Data Sources“
Journal Article: Jiang, Z., Sarkar, S., De, P., and Dey, D., (2007). Management Science, Vol. 53(12), pp. 1946-1963.
- “Record Matching in Data Warehouses: A Decision Model for Data Consolidation“
Journal Article: Dey, D., (2003). Operations Research, Vol. 51(2), pp. 240–254.
- “A Distance-Based Approach to Entity Reconciliation in Heterogeneous Databases“
Journal Article: Dey, D., Sarkar, S., and De, P., (2002). IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 14(3), pp. 567-582.
- “Combating Online Piracy: Should Pirated Products by Made Less Available or Less Attractive?” with Kim, A., & Lahiri, A., (Working paper).
- “The Zero-Day DLC Strategy: A Case for Versioning to Facilitate Product Sampling,” with Lahiri, A., (Working paper).
- “Absorptive Capacity, Disseminative Capacity, and Technology Adoption,” with Peng, G. (Working paper).
- “Team Capabilities and Success of Online Collaborative Content Development: A Knowledge Creation Perspective,” with Peng, G., (Working paper).
- “Optimal Policies for Security Patch Management in Organizations,” with Zhang, G., (Working paper).
Honors and Awards
- Marion B. Ingersoll Professor of Information Systems, 2011
- McCabe Fellowship, Foster School of Business, University of Washington, 2003-2011
- Dean's Faculty Research Award, University of Washington, 2003
- PhD Mentor of the Year Award, University of Washington, 2003
- Neal and Jan Dempsey Fellowship, University of Washington, 2000 - 2003
- Dean's Junior Faculty Research Award, University of Washington, 2000
- Senior Editor, Information Systems Research, 2009-2011
- Associate Editor, Information Systems Research, 2006-2008
- Associate Editor, Management Science, 2005-2008
- Associate Editor, MIS Quarterly, 2003-2005
- Associate Editor, INFORMS Journal on Computing, 2003-2007
Current Professional Affiliations
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Association for Information Systems
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Computer Society
- IS Core, Statistics Core, and IS bridge courses (MBA level),
- Data Mining and Decision Support Systems (MSIS, MBA, and PhD levels),
- Business Data Networking, Database Systems, Analysis Design (undergraduate and MBA levels),
- Managing IT Resources (MSIS level)
- Data Mining and Decision Support Systems,
- Business Data Communications and Networking,
- Database Systems and Applications,
- Systems Analysis and Design