Office: 528 PACCAR Hall
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195
- Professor of Accounting Gerhard G. Mueller Endowed Professor in Accounting
- PhD University of Washington (1998)
- BA University of Hawaii (1989)
- financial accounting
- The interaction/communication between managers and financial analysts and its effects on the information provided to the capital markets.
- At the University of Washington since 2000
- Assistant Professor, Harvard University, 1998-2000
- Teaching Assistant, University of Washington, 1993-1998
- Senior Auditor, Deloitte & Touche, 1989-1993
- “The Effect of Manager-Specific Optimism on the Tone of Earnings Conference Calls“
Journal Article: Davis, A., Ge, W., Matsumoto, D., and Zhang, J., (2015). Review of Accounting Studies, Vol. 20(2), pp. 639-673.
- “Assessing methods of identifying management forecasts: CIG vs. researcher collected“
Journal Article: Chuk E., Matsumoto, D., & Miller G., (2013). Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 55(1), pp. 23-42.
- “Do CFOs Have Styles of Their Own? An Empirical Investigation of the Effect of Individual CFOs on Accounting Practices“
Journal Article: Ge, W., Matsumoto, D., and Zhang, J., (2011). Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 28(4), pp. 1141-1179.
- “Is Silence Golden? An Empirical Analysis of Firms that Stop Giving Quarterly Earnings Guidance“
Journal Article: Chen, S., Matsumoto, D., & Rajgopal, S., (2011). Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 51(1-2), pp. 134-150.
- “What Makes Conference Calls Useful? The Information Content of Managers’ Presentations and Analysts’ Discussion Sessions“
Journal Article: Matsumoto, D., Pronk, M., & Roelofsen, E., (2011). The Accounting Review, Vol. 86(4), pp. 1383-1414.
- “Meeting or Beating Analyst Forecasts in the Post-Scandals World: Changes in Stock Market Rewards and Managerial Actions“
Journal Article: Matsumoto, D., Koh, K., & Rajgopal, S., (2008). Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 25(4), pp. 1067-1098.
- “Favorable vs. Unfavorable Recommendations: The Impact on Analyst Access to Management-Provided Information“
Journal Article: Matsumoto, D., & Chen, S., (2006). Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 44(4), pp. 657-689.
- “Emphasis on Proforma versus GAAP Earnings in Quarterly Press Releases: Determinants, SEC Interaction and Market Reactions“
Journal Article: Bowen, R., Davis, A., and Matsumoto, D., (2005). The Accounting Review, Vol. 80(4), pp. 1011-1038.
- “Managerial and Investor Responses to Disclosure Regulation: The Case of Reg FD and Conference Calls“
Journal Article: Matsumoto, D., Bushee, B., & Miller, G., (2004). The Accounting Review, Vol. 79(3), pp. 617-643.
- “Open versus Closed Conference Calls: The Determinants and Effects of Broadening Access to Disclosure“
Journal Article: Matsumoto, D., Bushee, B., & Miller, G., (2003). Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 34,
- “Do Conference Calls Affect Analysts’ Forecasts“
Journal Article: Matsumato, D., Bowen, R., & Davis, A., (2002). The Accounting Review, Vol. 77(2), pp. 285-316.
- “Management’s Incentives to Avoid Negative Earnings Surprises“
Journal Article: Matsumato, D., (2002). The Accounting Review, Vol. 77(3), pp. 483-514.
Honors and Awards
- William A. and Helen I. Fowler Endowment for Special Achievement in Accounting (2012)
- Undergraduate Professor of the Quarter for Accounting, Autumn Quarter (2008, 2010)
- American Accounting Association Financial Accounting and Reporting Section Best Paper Award (2003)
- Dean's Junior Faculty Research Award (2003)
- American Accounting Association Competitive Manuscript Award (2000)
- American Accounting Association Doctoral Consortium Fellow (1996)
- Deloitte & Touche Foundation Doctoral Fellowship (1995)
- University of Washington Dean Achievement Award (1994)
- Elijah Watt Sells Certificate of Distinction (1989)