Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3226
- Affiliate Associate Professor
- PhD Erasmus University (2004)
- MA University of Amsterdam (1998)
- BA University of Washington (1993)
- Organizational attention and discretionary social behavior, Multinationality and corporate social responsibility (particularly in emerging markets), Corporate social performance, Corporate financial performance
- Affiliate Associate Professor, University of Washington, 2011-present
- Associate Professor, University of Amsterdam, 2011-present
- Senior Lecturer, University of Washington, 2008-2010
- Assistant Professor, University of Amsterdam Business School, 2005-2008
- Assistant Professor, RSM Erasmus University, 2004-2005
- “Responsible Tax as Corporate Social Responsibility: The Case of Multinational Enterprises and Effective Tax in Indi“
Journal Article: Muller, A., & Kolk, A., (2012). Business & Society,
- “Doing Good Deeds in Times of Need: A Strategic Perspective on Corporate Disaster Donations“
Journal Article: Muller, A., & Kräussl, R.,, (2011). Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 32(9), pp. 911-929.
- “Extrinsic and Intrinsic Drivers of Corporate Social Performance: Evidence from Foreign and Domestic Firms in Mexico“
Journal Article: Muller, A., & Kolk, A., (2010). Journal of Management Studies, Vol. 47, pp. 1-26.
- “CSR Performance in Emerging Markets: Evidence from Mexico“
Journal Article: Muller, A., & Kolk, A., (2009). Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 85(2), pp. 325-337.
- “Exploring the Geography of Corporate Philanthropic Disaster Response: A Study of Fortune Global 500 Firms“
Journal Article: Muller, A., & Whiteman, G., (2009). Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 84(4), pp. 589-603.
- “Global versus Local CSR Strategies: An Exploratory Study of European MNEs in Mexico“
Journal Article: Muller, A., (2006). European Management Journal, Vol. 24(2-3), pp. 180-191.
- “Macro Intentions, Micro Realities: A Two-Level Strategic Approach to the Single European Market“
Journal Article: Muller, A., & van Tulder, R., (2002). Multinational Business Review, Vol. 5, pp. 1-10.
- “The Value of Corporate Philanthropy During Times of Crisis: The Signaling Effect of Employee Involvement“
Journal Article: Muller, A., & Kräussl, R., (2001). Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 103(2), pp. 203-220.
- Vodafone, competitive strategy
- Philips, strategic orientation
- ICCO, public-private partnership development
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs (NL), multinationals, taxation and development
Honors and Awards
- Best Reviewer Award, Academy of Management, SIM division, 2011
- Visiting Professor, Hong Kong Baptist University, 2011
- Visiting Professor, Hong Kong Baptist University, 2010
- Finalist, Best Paper Award, Academy of Management Social Issues in Management Division, 2008
- Visiting Scholar, Segal School of Business CCGRM, Simon Fraser University, 2008
- Finalist, Richard Farmer Dissertation Award, Academy of International Business, 2005
- Winner, Annual Dissertation Award, Dutch National Political Science Association, 2005
- Cum laude, PhD, RSM Erasmus University, 2004
- Winner, Most Challenging Thesis Proposal Award, European International Business Academy, 2001
- Cum laude, MA, University of Amsterdam, 1998
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1993
- Cum laude, BA, University of Washington, 1993
- Ad hoc reviewer, Academy of Management Journal
- Ad hoc reviewer, Organization Science
- Ad hoc reviewer, Strategic Management Journal
- Ad hoc reviewer, Journal of Management Studies
- Ad hoc reviewer, Business & Society
- Ad hoc reviewer, International Business Review
- Ad hoc reviewer, Journal of Business Ethics
- Referee, Academy of Management Annual Meetings
- Referee, Academy of International Business Annual Meetings