inbound exchange students

Inbound Exchange Students

Undergraduate business students from any of our partner institutions are eligible to participate in the University of Washington Foster School of Business exchange program.

This website is designed to provide you a thorough overview of the Foster School exchange student acceptance and arrival process; however, it is not an exhaustive explanation of the Undergraduate Business Program at the Foster School. Read the factsheet.

View a downloadable version of the information found here.

Partner UniversitiesWhy Select the Foster School Exchange? Inbound Exchange ProcessResources and Useful LinksFAQs

Partner Universities

Audencia Ecole de Management
Bocconi University
Copenhagen Business School
Chulalongkorn University
Kobe University School of Business
National Chengchi University
National University of Singapore
Peking University
Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile
RSM Erasmus University
Universidad de Navarra
University of Economics, Prague
University of Hong Kong
University of Manchester
University of Mannheim
University of Sydney
Yonsei University

Why Select the Foster School Exchange?

Beautiful Seattle
University of Washington
Foster School of Business

Inbound Exchange Process

Please note that this timeline approximate.


If you will be starting… Summer Quarter 2017 (June-August) Autumn Quarter 2017 (September-December) Winter Quarter 2018 (January – March) Spring Quarter 2018 (April – June)
Application Deadline February 1 March 1 August 1 August 1
Acceptance Documents Issued (DS-2019, etc.) Mid-May Mid-June Mid-October Mid-January
Course Registration will begin May July November February
FIUTS Orientation (recommended) June 17 September 11-22 TBD
Foster School Orientation (required) June 19 September 26 January 3 March 26
Instruction Begins June 19 September 27 January 3 March 26
Last day of Instruction August 18 December 8 March 9 June 1
Final Examination Week Typically the last day of class December 9-15 March 10-16 June 2-8
Phase 1: Application
Phase 2: Before you arrive
Phase 3: Class Registration
Phase 4: Upon Arrival
Phase 5: Transcripts

Resources and Useful Links

I have questions, who do I contact?
For more resources, visit the UW International Student Resource page.

I have questions about… Contact…
Immigration Documents +
On-Campus Housing and Food Service +1.206.543.4059
Measles Immunity Requirement +1.206.616.4672
Health Insurance Requirement +1.206.543.6202
International Student Services (ISS) Online Information Session +
Registering for Foster School Classes Sarah Allex
Events for International Students +1.206.543.0735
Events for Foster Exchange students Theresa Maloney
Orientation Foster:
A signature verifying I am enrolled at Foster Theresa Maloney
Where to pay my fees (Student Fiscal Services)
Pay Online
Pay in Person at Schmitz Hall 129
(cash, check, or money order only). Credit, debit and UW Husky cards are not accepted in the Student Fiscal Services Office.)

Banking and Checking accounts

You are welcome to open a bank account while in Seattle. Many banks offer free checking accounts and/or UW student discounts and ATM (debit) cards. Banking services do vary, but generally most banks are open Monday-Saturday with ATM access 24 hours a day at various locations in Seattle. You may want to ask a student in the Foster School for a bank recommendation, but most banks have branch offices close to the UW campus. Picture identification (passport) is required and most banks request a local address when opening an account. Banks near campus include:

Bank of America
4701 University Way, 206-358-1959
US Bank
UW Husky Union Building 105, (206) 543-2407
Wells Fargo Bank
4100 University Way NE, 206-547-2811
Key Bank
1300 North 45th Street, 206-585-9410

Wireless Phones

There is a wide variety of options for wireless phone service in Seattle. Many companies offer pre-paid or pay as you go options, which may be a convenient option for a short term stay. The main wireless companies in the US are:

Abbreviations and Acronyms

Listed below are some of the acronyms used around the University of Washington campus.

B-School Business School
Dawgs Nickname for UW student body
EMBA Executive MBA
FIUTS Foundation
Foster The Foster School
GEMBA Global Executive MBA
GBC Global Business Center
HUB Husky Union Building (student center)
IMA UW workout and gymnasium facilities that offer a variety of fitness classes
ISS International Student Services
Puget Sound Body of water and the region of the Northwest that includes Seattle
The Ave Nickname for University Way, the main shopping street close to campus
U-District The residential and shopping area surrounding the University of Washington
U-PASS Bus Pass
U-Village A Shopping area near campus with restaurants and a grocery store
UPO Undergraduate Program Office

Frequently Asked Questions

Housing / Accomodations

Q: Does the University of Washington guarantee accommodations for exchange students?
A: No. Due to the large number of undergraduate students and full-time graduate students, the University of Washington cannot guarantee housing for exchange students. However, if you are interested in on-campus student housing, you can apply and in many cases you will be assigned a spot.

Q: Is it possible to arrange housing with an outgoing Foster exchange student?
A: Possibly. Not every outgoing Foster exchange student is interested in renting their house or apartment while they are on exchange. If a student expresses interest in this kind of arrangement, the Exchange Program Manager will email the information to the exchange applicants.

Q: Where do most exchange students live?
A: Most exchange students live in on-campus housing, while some live off-campus within walking or short bus distance from the University of Washington campus. A large number of apartments and houses surround the UW campus in the area called the University District which is a very popular place for students to live. Seattle has a good public bus transportation system; numerous bus routes either pass through or next to the UW campus each day.

Q: Can I arrange a short-term home stay upon my arrival in Seattle?
A: Yes. The Foundation for International Understanding through Students (FIUTS) is an organization that sponsors a variety of programs and activities for all international students attending the University of Washington. FIUTS will arrange a home stay for 3-7 days after you arrival in Seattle. Participation in the home stay program includes an airport pick-up service. For additional information about this program please contact FIUTS.

Q: What is the average rent in Seattle?
A: This varies based on location, size of apartment, and if you live alone or with a roommate. The cost varies between $600-$1,200 per month for rent.

Q: Are home stays possible with a local family?
A: Yes. For additional information contact Abode Home Stays. Note: the Foster School does not endorse this service. The web link is provided as a resource only.

Academics / Course Selection

Q: How many credits/courses do I need to take at the University of Washington?
A: You are required to take the appropriate number of courses/credits as required by your home institution. Full-time Foster students generally enroll in four (4-credit) courses for a total of 16 credits per quarter. To satisfy your student visa status, you must be enrolled in at least 12 credits per quarter with a maximum of 18 credits.

Q: How do I register for courses?
A: Prior to your arrival, you will receive an email from your academic counselor. You will be asked to provide a list of 6-8 courses that most interest you. The academic counselor will attempt to enroll you for the courses at the top of your list. Please keep in mind that courses are limited by class size and several courses are required for Foster School students. Please note that you will not be allowed to register for classes until you submit the measles immunization document, and complete the International Student Services (ISS) Online Information Session.

Q: Can I change my schedule once I arrive to campus?
A: Yes, on a space available basis. All students are permitted to add and drop courses during the first week of the academic term with permission from the course professor. Add/drop procedures will be covered in orientation prior to the start of the academic term.

Q: Can I take courses outside of the Foster School?
A: Yes, on a space available basis. Your Foster School academic counselor can assist you with navigating the course catalog, and provide instructions for enrolling in non-business courses.

Q: Where can I get a list of courses taught in the Foster School?
A: There are two tools that will be useful to you in determining which courses you would like to take. The time schedule lists which courses will be offered during a specific time period. The course catalog provides descriptions of all courses.


Q: Do I have to file a tax return?
A: The requirement to file a tax return varies by student. The UW has provides information on this website to determine if you are required to file:

If you have a specific question, you can reach out to ‘Glacier Tax Prep’ who offers a free service and advice to UW students. Their contact information can be found on the website above.

Q: Can I work in the US while I am here?
Depending on the circumstance, it may be possible for you to work a part-time job while attending the Foster School of Business as an exchange student. You must be aware of the J-1 visa requirements and receive employment authorization BEFORE you begin working. Additional information can be found on this website:

Q: Can I get an internship over the summer?
For students in the US on a J-1 visa it may be possible to secure an internship directly after completing your exchange program. This would be considered ‘Academic Training’ and must be directly related to your field of study. You can find information about academic training and the process to apply for it on this website:

Q: Can I stay an extra quarter?
Potentially. This extension would need to be approved by the Foster School Global Business Center, and your home institution. Inquire with the inbound exchange program manager for additional information.