An admission to the Hybrid MBA Program is selective. Applicants must show an aptitude for business, demonstrated leadership capacity, and a strong commitment to managing online coursework and completing program requirements. Applicants are selected not only for their potential to benefit from the program, but also for the experience and knowledge they can contribute to their classmates.
- Online Applicant Profile (create your profile here)
- 2 Essays
- Applicant assessment & optional letter of recommendation
- Admissions Exam (GMAT or GRE)
- Unofficial transcripts* (view requirements for degrees from India)
- Proof of English language proficiency (view Memo #8 for details)
- $85 non-refundable application fee
- Interview (by invitation only)
NOTE: At this time, the Hybrid MBA Program cannot accept applicants who are requesting F-1 or J-1 student visas.
* If offered admission, official transcripts must be sent to the UW Graduate School
In order to apply to the Hybrid MBA program, you must first create a new applicant profile via the UW Graduate School website.
ESSAY 1 (REQUIRED)
Describe a time when you had to make a difficult decision at work. Briefly describe the circumstances, the pros and cons of the various options, and how you responded.
Given the benefit of hindsight, do you think you made the best decision? Why or why not? What would you have done differently, if anything?
Note: The purpose of this essay is to assess your critical thinking skills as you do a “post-mortem” analysis of your response. This is not an assessment of your action, but rather a view into your capacity for self-reflection. (1500 word maximum)
ESSAY 2 (REQUIRED)
The format of an online degree program can be a challenge for some learners. Online programs require discipline, self-direction, resourcefulness, follow-through, and the ability to actively seek help when needed.
Considering this, please describe why you think you will be successful in this Hybrid MBA Program. Describe a situation in which you successfully demonstrated these qualities. (500 word maximum)
Your resume must be uploaded to your online application. It should be a complete summary of your professional work history in reverse chronological format. For each position, include:
- Company name and division/group/department
- Position title
- Dates of employment (month and year)
- Responsibility summary – a brief section describing your primary responsibilities
- Accomplishment bullets – 3-6 bullets for most recent position and 1-3 for former positions
An online assessment and letter of recommendation is required and should come from your current supervisor.
Designate your recommender in the online application. He/she will receive an email and will have the option of submitting the recommendation electronically or via mail.
Recommenders will also receive an assessment form via the UW Graduate School.
The GMAT and GRE are offered year-round and can be taken multiple times. It is recommended that you take the exam as early as possible to allow time to re-test if necessary. If you have taken a test more than once, the admissions committee will use your highest total score to evaluate your application.
Request that your official GMAT or GRE scores are sent to the University of Washington – Hybrid Program and include your score breakdown in the Self-Reported Test Scores section in the online application.
GMAT Program Code – hMBA 459-75-04
GRE Institution Code – University of Washington (Institution Code–4854)
For tests older than 5 years, or if you did not originally send your scores to the codes above, you may email a copy of your score report to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your score breakdown in the Self-Reported Test Scores section in the online application.
You are welcome to submit your online application prior to taking your GMAT or GRE, but the test must be completed by the application deadline at the latest. In this case, include your test date in the online application. After completing the exam, upload an official copy to your online application.
Applicants to Hybrid MBA are required to have a 4-year baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. Transcripts are required for undergraduate and graduate-level degrees earned. For the application review process, you are required to upload a copy of your unofficial transcripts to your online application.
If you are offered admission to Hybrid MBA, you will be required to submit an official copy of your transcripts to the UW Graduate School. Please do not mail official transcripts to the Hybrid office; additional instructions will be provided to admitted students.
Transcripts from international institutions
A certified or attested copy of your academic record and diploma indicating the date and conferral of your degree are required.
If the original language of the academic record and diploma is not English, a certified English translation must accompany the original document. A school administrative officer of the institution from which the degree was received must certify official copies of credentials. If the institution will not issue an official translation, you may translate the transcripts and have your translation certified by a UW faculty member who is fluent in the particular language or you may contact your local consulate for translation assistance.
Required content for all transcripts:
- Full name of applicant (former names are acceptable if indicated on application)
- Name of degree-granting institution
- Title(s) of academic degree(s) awarded
- Dates of enrollment, including date of graduation/degree conferral
- Names of individual courses
- Grades, marks, or ratings of individual courses
- International transcripts must include official English translations
- Both marks sheets and degree statements are required, if applicable
A non-refundable application fee of $85 is required to submit your online application.
Proficiency in English is required for graduate study at the University of Washington. If your native language is NOT English, you are required to demonstrate English language proficiency in one of several ways. Details and accepted exams are explained in Graduate School Memo #8. Applicants should contact the Hybrid MBA office to ensure that test scores will be valid.
Interviews are by invitation only and take place after an initial review of your completed application. Applicants invited for an interview will have the option of an in-person video or video conferencing. We encourage applicants to do in-person when possible.
Notification of Admission Decision
An admission decision will be provided via email within 6 weeks after the date of completing your application. All communication regarding the status of your application, including admission decisions, will be through electronic mail.
If you are offered admission, you will need to submit a $1,500 non-refundable deposit, signed letter of agreement and photo release form by the deadline indicated in your offer letter. Upon accepting your offer of admission, formal enrollment to the UW Graduate School takes an additional 2-3 weeks. Additional steps include providing official transcripts to the Graduate School for verification and proof of measles (rubeola) immunization. Additional information will be provided to admitted students.
NOTE: Due to limited classroom hours, the Hybrid MBA Program is not eligible for full-time international students requesting F-1 or J-1 visas. International professionals with a U.S. employment visa may be eligible for this work-compatible program. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Hybrid MBA technical requirements
While not an application requirement, it is important that applicants understand the technical requirements before applying to the program. You will need a technology setup that includes solid Internet connectivity, a computer, a webcam, headset, and software for synchronous sessions.
- A Windows or Mac computer with at least 8 Gigabytes of RAM.
- It will be possible to access some but not all Hybrid activities with a tablet or smartphone; therefore, we do not recommend them as your only means of accessing program materials and activities.
- A high speed internet connection, 25 Mbps download, and 5Mbps upload speeds.
- If you are using your workplace internet, please verify that the address “http://canvas.uw.edu” is whitelisted.
Webcam, headset, and software for synchronous sessions
- A good-quality webcam with a minimum 720p resolution.
- A headset: headphones with a microphone, or earbuds with a built-in microphone.
- Zoom software: download it from the Zoom website.