The following answers address commonly asked admission questions:
- Business Connections: Join a diverse group of select professionals that come from many countries around the world with global experiences to share. The smaller classes in the GEMBA program give students the opportunity to interact with faculty and other leaders participating in the program. You will have an opportunity to study and network with seasoned global leaders who bring diverse experiences from various industries and regions of the world.
- Location and Lifestyle: The UW is located in the heart of Seattle, and has a strong reputation of having one of the best campus environments based on school safety, attractiveness, and location. Seattle is a major port city with great proximity to Asia and Latin America. Participants will experience the strong entrepreneurial spirit of the city as they explore the diverse businesses headquartered in Seattle and the greater Puget Sound area.
- International Class Representation: Whereas most MBA programs have about 30-40% international mix, the GEMBA program has a much higher 80-90% representation which allows the students to share more diverse global experience, network, and business connections abroad.
- Cohort based: This model allows the entire curriculum to be much more integrated and aligned to focus on the two main themes – leadership and strategic thinking. In every class, faculty are keenly aware that their role is to not only teach their subject matter, but also help students, as strategic leaders, to apply the learning.
Compared to a traditional two year MBA program, the students of the one year GEMBA program tend to be more experienced and have more diverse international background. Also with GEMBA, focus is on career advancement and enhancement rather than career change.
Compared to the traditional EMBA program, although the GEMBA students have similar work experience, they take a full year sabbatical from their work to focus on completing the program as a full-time student instead of working full-time and going to school part-time as traditional EMBA students do.
This program is ideal for international business professionals with work experience who are looking to enhance their career and contribute back to their organizations. A desirable candidate should meet the following criteria:
- Four year undergraduate degree in business or alternate degree with relevant work experience
- Ability to take a one-year sabbatical from his/her current position to complete the program on a full-time basis in Seattle
- Minimum TOEFL score of 92 iBT or 7.0 IELTS is required. This will exempt applicants from having to complete additional English coursework.
- Company sponsorship is preferred, but is not required. GMAT is not required for company sponsored candidates.
If a candidate is not sponsored by an organization, they must take the GMAT and submit the score as part of the application process.
GMAT will be waived as a requirement for candidates nominated and sponsored by their organization. If a candidate is self-sponsored and is not supported by an organization, the candidate must take the GMAT and submit the score as part of the application process.
Applicants must have a minimum TOEFL score of 92 iBT. Applicants with a TOEFL score of 84 – 91 may take one quarter of the Intensive English Program at the University of Washington, and upon successful completion, transfer to the GEMBA program.
Applications submitted by November 15 for early admission will be notified by December 1. Those who apply by December 31 will be notified by February 15.
Admission decisions are based upon the quality and length of the applicant’s professional experience, educational background, test scores, application materials, and recommendations.
Each year the program begins around mid-June and ends around mid-June the following year.
The Global Executive MBA Program uses a self-managed online application process. You are responsible for completing and submitting all elements of the GEMBA application. We encourage you to carefully review the detailed application requirements before submitting your online application. Your application will not be processed until all the required original documents are received by the Admissions Office. Click here to learn more.
Average age: 37
Average experience: 11 years
The tuition and program fee for the 2016-17 program will be $76,200 and it includes all class course materials, textbooks, and planned activities.
Depending on qualifications, limited assistance to a few high-potential applicants may be awarded. Self-sponsored applicants are eligible.
As a GEMBA student, you will have access to all University of Washington resources. There are over 684 student clubs and associations on campus. UW has 35 libraries on campus. The Foster School also collaborates closely with other schools and units, and would be able to help make connections across campus.
Students have full access to university-wide career services for resources with advisers and connections.
Many resources are available to help you find housing during your stay in the Seattle area. Click here to learn more.