The Global Executive MBA Program uses a self-managed online application process. You are responsible for completing and submitting all elements of the GEMBA application. Be sure to clearly communicate due dates to the appropriate parties to avoid any unnecessary delays in processing your application.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the GEMBA Program Office at 206-543-8560 or email@example.com.
We encourage you to carefully review the detailed application requirements before submitting your online application. Applicants must meet the following requirements in order to be considered for admission to the Global Executive MBA program:
- Degree Requirement
- Proof of English Language Proficiency
- Official Transcripts
- GMAT Criteria
- Statement of Financial Ability
- Employer Letter of Support
- Letter of Recommendation
Global Executive MBA applicants must have completed the equivalent of a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Applicants are expected to demonstrate English written and verbal communication skills and capable computer skills – particularly with word processing, spreadsheets and presentation software.
Proof of English Language Proficiency Requirement
Proficiency in English is required for graduate study at the University of Washington. Therefore, every applicant whose native language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency.
Proficiency testing can be waived if one of the following can be demonstrated:
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or from an institution in Australia, the Bahamas, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, Trinidad and Tobago, or the United Kingdom.
- Documentation verifying that the applicant’s undergraduate degree is from an institution where all instruction is in English.
All other applicants must successfully complete the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Applicants must have a minimum TOEFL score of 92 iBT. Applicants with a TOEFL score of 84 – 91 may take one quarter of the Intensive English Program at the University of Washington, and upon successful completion, transfer to the GEMBA program.
Applicants will be required to upload a copy of their unofficial transcript with the online application packet. If offered admission to the program applicants will be notified by the UW Graduate School to submit the official transcript issued from the institution from which the degree was granted. Mailing addresses and instructions will be provided on the online application status page.
If a candidate is nominated and sponsored by their organization, GMAT will be waived as a requirement. If a candidate is self-sponsored and is not supported by an organization, the candidate must take the GMAT and submit the score as part of the application process. GMAT scores should be submitted to GEMBA Program code 459-75-40.
Statement of Financial Ability
International applicants must submit a Financial Ability Form with supporting official documentation showing adequate financial resources to cover the cost of one-year of study. The Financial Ability Form will be available in the online Graduate Application Status Page once admission to the program has been offered and accepted.
Once financial ability is confirmed, the University of Washington will issue the I-20. When presented to a U.S. consul, these forms enable a student to obtain an F-1 or J-1 visa respectively.
Employer Letter of Support
If a candidate to the GEMBA program is nominated and sponsored by his/her organization, then he/she must submit a letter from their employer explaining how and why the candidate is being supported. This letter will be used in lieu of a GMAT score. The employer letter of support should be written by the candidate’s manager and include the following items:
- Candidates length of service with the company
- Candidates role and responsibilities
- Explanation of how the candidate (and company) will benefit from attending the GEMBA Program.
- Statement of financial support and/or time away from the company
- The letter should be prepared on company letterhead and include the manager’s telephone and email address.
Click here to review a sample Employer Letter of Support.
Letter of Recommendation
Self-sponsored applicants will be required to submit a letter of recommendation from a current or previous supervisor. The letter should be written on company letterhead and include information on the following areas:
- The relationship of the recommender to the applicant and how long he/she has known the applicant
- The perception of the applicant’s major areas of strength
- The perception of the applicant’s experience as a manager and potential for general management
These items will be required after you have been accepted to the GEMBA Program.
Insurance for International Students
All regularly admitted, degree-seeking international students who are not attending the University of Washington as part of an exchange program are required to purchase the UW Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan or apply for a waiver. Please see the Office of International Students & Scholars website for more information or to fill out a waiver form.
Measles Immunity Verification
All matriculated University of Washington (UW) students are required to provide proof of measles (rubeola) immunity. Students will not be allowed to register for any classes until they have satisfied this requirement.
Students born before January 1, 1957 are considered to be immune to measles and therefore do not need to submit proof of immunity.
The GEMBA program uses the Graduate School’s online application system.
To assist you with the application process, download our detailed online application instructions.
To begin the application process, you will need to create on online profile. Once you’ve created your profile, you will be prompted to provide the necessary information for each section of the application and will be able to save your application data until you are ready to submit the final content.
Online application guidelines:
- Always use your full legal name as it appears on your passport, birth certificate, or other official documentation when completing the application or labeling supplemental materials.
- If your name as changed and may appear differently on any of your supporting documents (such as transcripts or test score reports) please indicate your former name in the space provided on the application.
- You must provide us with a current valid e-mail address. All communications regarding the status of your application, including admission decisions will be through e-mail.
- Be sure to notify the GEMBA Program Office of any mailing or e-mail changes after the application is submitted.
What do I provide in the online application?
There are two sets of action steps to complete an online admission application to the GEMBA program. The Graduate School requires the following steps:
- Select your application type (Graduate)
- Select a graduate program (“Business Administration – Foster School of Business – Global Executive MBA”)
- Indicate the year you wish to enter (example: June 2013)
- Select ultimate degree for this program (Master’s)
- Review requirements and deadlines
- Report prior college attendance
- Submit unofficial transcripts
- Report English proficiency (TOEFL or IELTS) scores
- Review checklist of application materials
- Print application
- Pay the $75 University of Washington Graduate School processing fee and submit completed application.
In addition to the steps required by the Graduate School, you must complete the following steps in the online admission application:
- Submit Statement of Purpose (Word, RTF, or PDF upload only)
- Submit current resume or vitae (Word, RTF or PDF upload only)
- Foster School Statement of Integrity
- Submit Letter of Support or Recommendation
Other Items Necessary to Complete a GEMBA Application
After submitting the online application, applicants will be notified by e-mail of their admission decision. If offered admission, applicants will be instructed to accept or decline the offer of admission on the online Graduate Application Status Page. If the offer of admission is accepted next steps will appear on the Graduate Application Status Page. The next steps are additional items that need to be completed before enrolling in classes at the University of Washington.
Questions or Problems
If you have questions about the application process, admission process or encounter problems using the online admission application, please contact our office by calling 206-543-8560 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants are encouraged to begin the application process early and take advantage of the November 15 early-admission deadline. By meeting this deadline applicants will be notified of their admission status by December 1.
The final application deadline is December 31 for international applicants, and February 1 for domestic applicants. By meeting this deadline applicants will then be notified by February 15.
Admission decisions are conveyed within four to eight weeks of receiving your completed application packet.
All communication regarding the status of your application, including admission decisions, will be through e-mail. You must provide us with a valid/current e-mail or you will not be able to receive information about your application status.
Tuition and Fees
The total tuition for the 2018-2019 GEMBA program will be $90,000, pending approval.
A $1,500 non-refundable deposit is due upon acceptance of your offer of admission. This deposit will be applied to your program tuition.
The remaining tuition is due by the start of the GEMBA Program in June 2017.
Applicants who are U.S. citizens, eligible noncitizens of the United States with a valid Social Security Number (SSN) and who are not in default on a prior federal student loan may apply for federal loans. Foreign residents may apply for a private MBA loan with a U.S. citizen co-signer.
- Federal Stafford Direct Loans
Maximum you can borrow: $20,500
- Federal Direct Graduate PLUS
Determined from FAFSA results.
Maximum you can borrow: Up to cost of attendance (minus other aid).
View UW Student Loan Program Chart.
Connect with Us
To find out if the 12-month GEMBA program is right for you, contact:
GEMBA Program Director
Michael G. Foster School of Business